Extending a shower riser kit pls help

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MxHx2022, Mar 24, 2022.

1. MxHx2022

MxHx2022 Member

Hello there,

I'm hoping some people on here can point me in the right direction for the products I need to use.
    I have a very limited budget to create a shower over a bath. Annoyingly the taps are on the side of the bath and the walls in the room are block (it's a late 60's house). I can't afford to replace the bath (and relocated the taps) or bury the pipes in the walls.

I've fixed the riser no problem and can link the mixer with a hose but would like something a bit more polished looking. My 'bright' idea is to install some piping from the mixer tap and wrap round the bath and up to the riser... a bit like a shower in a gym??

Picking the right product seems to be a minefield. I'm a fairly confident DIYer and hoping to be able to tackle it myself. Would I be right direction in using something like these elbows for corners?
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-compression-equal-90-elbow-15mm/33526
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/tectite-sprint-chrome-plated-copper-push-fit-equal-90-elbow-15mm/366fj

but what products do I use to make the 2 ends screwable into the riser and mixer... if that's the right word.

And specifically what pipes do I use?

Or am I kidding myself and should dine on beans and toast for a whole month to afford to get someone in.
    Pic attached

Thank u! :)

Attached Files:

2. Nexial

Nexial Active Member

Assuming that you are going to be using chrome plated copper for this, i would steer clear of and make of pushfit fittings such as the Tectite.
    The type of item you are asking for is referred to as either a "Male Iron" or a "Female Iron".

Are you even going to have enough space under that shower head to get underneath it though? As whilst the rain shower heads will tilt a little, they may not reach where you intend to use it. I would test the setup first with a hose of some description.

MxHx2022 likes this.
  3. Notnowvicar

Notnowvicar Screwfix Select

So you are using the tap hand shower feed to provide for the riser shower....can you not see the issue ? Lack of thermostatic control...scalding hot to freezing cold when a toilet is flushed or a tap turned on.....
    To put a proper shower in was :
    1. remove bath panel, tee into existing pipe work.
    2. Run pipework under bath up back wall through the bath lip then surface mount some nice chrome pipe to new thermostatic shower.
    3.Or run pipe work to side of bath up wall to thermostatic shower
    4. take out 6 tiles and do the job properly...what are those tiles £1 each ?....

4. MxHx2022

MxHx2022 Member

Thank you for the advice.