Extending Kitchen cabinets

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Skyblue1, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Skyblue1

Skyblue1 Member

I want to make the kitchen wall cabinets taller. What's the easiest way to do this?
    I can't find the dimensions I need in store for the cabinets, only the doors.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easiest way is to replace them,& change doors,wall units are usually available in 575mm,720mm or 900mm height.

Skyblue1 likes this.
  3. Skyblue1

Skyblue1 Member

Thanks. I have a high ceiling even with 90cm cabinets, it would leave a big space. Would like to put another row of doors above. If it has to be custom made, what's the cheapest way?

4. You could fit top boxes above the cabinets.

Skyblue1 likes this.
  5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Cheapest way -as you’ve asked - would be to buy matching doors to fit top gap then just build a timber frame to hang them from

Would save you the cost of additional cabinets but, depends what range/brand your going for. Basic carcasses aren’t a fortune are they

If you go for just a simple frame, could add shelves if height allows or buy the nearest ‘off the shelf’ solution and cut down as needed

If a flat pack kitchen, likely to be held together with cams and dowels so with some meddling, could cut down and still use original fixing method

Or cut down and screw up using plastic blocks (modesty blocks, strange name innit) !

Depends on your skill set and available tools if your doing this yourself ?

Skyblue1 likes this.
  6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Where are the existing units from - are they still supplied? What space do you have above your wall units to the ceiling?

I regularly fit top boxes above 900h wall units as much of my work is in high ceilinged Edwardian homes. Need a decent set of steps to screw the cornice down ;-)

Skyblue1 likes this.
  7. Skyblue1

Skyblue1 Member

Thanks Dave. I'm wondering if I could get 90cm doors but keep the 72cm cabinets I have and make a frame to extend the cabinet.

8. Skyblue1

Skyblue1 Member

Or you could get stilts. The guy who plastered my walls had them. It looked amazing to watch, lol.

It's discontinued. I have some spare doors but not enough cabinets. ;-(
    The gap is about 63cm from the existing 72cm cabinets. I have lots of 30 X 90cm doors I'm hoping to use.

9. Skyblue1

Skyblue1 Member

Any advice on how to make the frame strong enough to support doors? Most of the websites show cosmetic extensions not practical ones :(