Extending surface mount socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by yowji, Mar 23, 2018.

1. yowji

yowji New Member

I have a surface mount socket that is mounted to the skirting behind the tv cabinet (see picture).
    As a result the TV cabinet is sitting away from the wall due to the skirting board and the socket plus the plug that goes on the socket. The wall is concrete and I would rather not break the wall.

I would like to:
    a) increase it to 2 gang socket
    b) extend the socket length longer so that I can put it inside of the of the TV cabinet (ie not wall mounted)

That way the TV cabinet can sit with the back resting on the skirting and the wire will rest on the skirting board and the socket ending in the TV cabinet.

The sockets will then be used to:
    1) first socket to run the 2 floor lamps with a timer
    2) second socket to run TV, speakers, subwoofer, wifi router, bluray and game console via an extension cord.

How do I go about doing item a and b and will it contravene any regulations?

Any suggestions/ assistance will be much appreciated.

Thank you.
    Jim

Attached Files:

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Easiest solution IMO would be to run a 4 way extension block from the socket to the left, and mount the 4 way inside the TV cabinet.

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You could just cut a hole in the back of the cabinet so that the surface socket is then inside the cabinet?
    If not practical, can you advise how many cables go into the back of the socket?

4. yowji

yowji New Member

Thanks for the advise Dr Bodgit and Bazza.

I am currently using extension cord with the 4 way in the TV cabinet. Problem is that the surface mount box + the plug for extension force me to have the cabinet 5-6 cm away from the wall and thus does not look neat. Ikea make legs for the TV cabinet but they are 10cm tall and thus not tall enough to exceed the surface socket.

Cutting cabinet not ideal as it would mean cutting bottom of cabinet as well as surface socket is in the way.

I need to check how many cables go into the back of the socket.

Might consider mounting the cabinet on the wall above skirting, then socket and extension cord will be hidden under cabinet.

A suggestion was to install "switched fused spur with a flush plate". But this would need a builder/electrician to cut thru the skirting board and wall.

Thank you.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes, then can make other suggestions.