Extending wires. Junction boxes?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Woodward, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Woodward

Woodward New Member

Recently built a new stud wall to create a hallway but it now requires moving two light switches and a socket. One light switch for the living room, one for the hallway/stairs (two way light) and a socket.

Now I'm obviously no electrician but handy when it comes to DIY however, I wanted to make sure my thinking was right or if I had to go the longer route (replacing the whole length of cable, not exactly easily down).

Starting with the living room light. I need to extend the wire to put the switch further down the wall and closer to the door. I've attached a photo of what my original plan is. As the existing wire (in red) comes down from the ceiling I've drilled a hole in the header and then 100m down from the top of each stud to get the new wire along the wall and to the relevant position. Now my plan is to add a maintenance-free junction box where I've highlighted in green attaching it to the header. Is this fine and legal?

For the hallway/stairs light. I need to literally move the switch over to the other side of the stud to get the back box in. However, there isn't enough slack on the two wires to be able to do this. So I was going to extend them slightly and include another two maintenance-free junction boxes. Running the existing wiring in between the two exposed studs (red line) and include the junction boxes in this gap (in green). Again is this fine and legal?

Finally, the socket. The wires currently come down from the ceiling (next to the hallway light wires) however, we want to move the socket to the other side of the hallway. Unfortunately, I can't get under the floorboards upstairs to run it through the two joists that are in the way and I don't want to be ripping the hallway ceiling down (asbestos artex). Therefore, my plan was to run the wire again down between the two studs, use a maintenance-free junction box and go under the suspended wooden ground floor and back up in the correct position in the new stud wall. Once again, is this fine and legal?

Attached Files:

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

All cables should be
    a) run in permitted cable routes if not mechanically protected
    or
    b) be a minimum of 50mm below the finished surface.

and

protected by a 30ma RCD

upload_2021-9-27_11-29-37.png

Any junction must be accessible unless maintenance free.

Good luck with your project

3. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Com beat me to it, as he says, so long as it is within the "safe zones" (or deeper than 50mm) in his image and the jb's are mantenance free then all is good.

Wago's are maintenence free when used in a Wago Box, also there are the very good Hager boxes for this purpose.

Here is another zoning diagram or two!

Attached Files:

4. Woodward

Woodward New Member

Thanks both @TonyGoddard and @Comlec.

I've read the permitted cable routes but wanted to double-check. Based on my plan they all seem to meet the permitted routes (correct me if I'm wrong?) - the cable under the floor will be easily over 50mm below the finished surface.

Sounds like all I need to go pick up is some Wago's and Wago boxes! :)

Oh and on the 30ma RCD. Our board was recently changed and upgrade due to a kitchen renovation so I presume this would be covered?

5. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

All sounds good to go, best of luck with it

6. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Although it will work does not mean this is best practice. I know wago boxes and terminals are maintenance free but I see a lot of this sort of thing where everyone seems to think they are a magic cure for all. The least amount of connections in the circuit the better, looking at your particular example yes you will be fine.