Extension Floor Level

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by jcfaeecht, Dec 4, 2009.

1. jcfaeecht

jcfaeecht Member

I am currently in the process of building a single storey extension on to my house 6m x 5m. It has a suspended timber floor. Currently the timberframe is up with the roof all wind and water tight. The next stage is fitting the windows and flooring.

My builder built the block work up to floor level and my joiner brother built the floor joists which sit on the inner leaf and the timber kit. Unfortunately there is a 20mm discrepency between the floor joists in the extension and the house floor joists. The extension joists are lower. It looks as if we have made a mistake when setting out the levels.

Anyway my brother wants to nail a 20mm strip on to the 150 x 50 Floor Joists to bring the level up as I wont be replacing the joists!. Then screw the 22mm chipboard down with longer screws. Just wondered if anybody had any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

......lower the house by 20mm!

3. imran_

imran_ New Member

Adopt a Faulty Towers-style walk when going in and out of the extension???

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Anyway my brother wants to nail a 20mm strip on to the 150 x 50 Floor Joists to bring the level up as I wont be replacing the joists!. Then screw the 22mm chipboard down with longer screws. Just wondered if anybody had any other ideas?
    45mm x 20mm should do the job just right, make sure it's actual not nominal.

5. jcfaeecht

jcfaeecht Member

Chippie

Thanks for the reply. Looks like that is the way to go. TBH can't think of any other way and good point you make about nominal and actual size.

6. evo nut

evo nut New Member

could you not lay 3/4 ply down?

make sure its 3/4 not 18mm though
    might be easier?

evo nut

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Evo nut your method would cost twice as much to do an inferior job and wouldn't be any easier.

8. britishblue

britishblue New Member

The advantage of the mistake, is that if you have central heating pipes crossing the joists you don't have to cut and weaken the joists, you just cut a piece out of the packing strip. That is how my house was built.

BB

9. avey

avey New Member

just out of the blue...... if all the joist are exposed why not pack them 20mm to meet??

10. avey

avey New Member

also is 6x2 joists good enough to span a room 6m x 5m or have you erected steel?

11. jcfaeecht

jcfaeecht Member

Thanks for the further replies guys

Avey, I can't pack the joists as the timberframe is built which sits on the floor joists. There are sleeper walls under the joists to support.

12. dunc

dunc New Member

How was the error made? It might be worth checking all your levelling kit to see if anything is faulty, or the method you used when setting out.

If there is a fault then you may repeat this or compound any existing errors.

13. avey

avey New Member

gte a 8x4 sheet of 18mm ply cut into 50 mm strip and plant ontop of the joist, its the only solution

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are you thick Avey?

Savvo88 likes this.