Extension Groundwork

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by spannerw, Mar 20, 2020.

1. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Evening all
    New here so please be gentle.
    We are thinking about having a two storey extension to the rear of our house. Trying to keep costs down as much as possible, my question is would I realistically save much cash if I dug footings and drainage trenches myself or not?
    Many thanks

2. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

How bigs the extension?

3. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

4. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Approx. 2m x4m.

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Of course it would.
    When I do my own digging, I do it by hand with a pick and shovel and distribute the earth around my property ... so no diggers and no skips.
    When I have had it done for me, I paid for digger rental, workers, skips, etc. and then it took weeks before the garden damage from the digger covered over. I paid in money, stress and frustration!

6. rogerk101

That's easily manageable ... even with footings down to a metre depth.
    Make sure you have your trenches inspected and that you cast your concrete as soon after digging as possible or it risks slumping if we get bad weather. Then you're into a right mess with more digging and possibly even boarding/shuttering.

7. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Thanks a lot for that rogerk. Don’t have that bigger garden to loose the soil, what would be cheaper/easier slips or a grab lorry?

8. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Don’t forget dig is at least 1m deep 600mm wide, the spoil may just go in 1 skip ( allowing for bulking) I’d go for grab

9. rogerk101

I have successfully got rid of unwanted earth by advertising it on Freecycle and Freegle. If you're lucky, your timing may be right for someone looking to do a bit of landscaping and wanting the very earth you're trying to get rid of.

Two skips cost about the same as one grab lorry for the same amount of stuff to remove, and both are pretty expensive - even for uncontaminated earth. If you have to go down the path of skip/grab lorry, then try to negotiate a really good deal, firstly because it will be uncontaminated and secondly because you'll only be needing it for a day of loading (bearing in mind that most skips are tied up on a building site for months at a time, so a day is great for the skip company.

10. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Self dig saves gym fees too!!

Skips are quite a bit dearer than grabaway if you have a lot of gear to get rid of but you have to factor in plying the landing area or accepting damage to it and the time clearing up. In your case 2m x 4m with basic minimum is going to be 8 x 1.0 x 0.45 x 1.3(m to yard) x 1.5(bulking) gives 7 cube yards. You'll have some surplus from the drains and topsoil strip too

11. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Thanks a lot for your helpful reply’s.
    Second question, bearing in mind that I a PSV Engineer so therefore have no knowledge of building houses, is there anything else I can do myself to save cash?

12. rogerk101

A lot of us on here are DIY, so never did an apprenticeship or learned a trade. In other words, we're self-taught.
    In my case, I have dabbled in almost all aspects of building, and have a very full portfolio of projects involving many things that I'm not so proud of and others that I'm extremely proud of.
    We all started somewhere, so I'd encourage you to try your hand at the easier stuff first and then tackle progressively more complex stuff as you learn more skills and gain more confidence.
    I fully accept that I can't plaster to save my butt, but I am perfectly happy to try my hand at everything else.
    Go for it, and good luck. There are many on here to share their advice and encouragement, so just ask!

gadget man likes this.
  13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Without sounding arrogant, the best thing to save you money is to know and accept your limitations, and don't try to steamroller ahead thinking it’ll be fine without listening to reason when you may be putting yourself in danger and cost you money in the long run, IE omitting the employment of a structural engineer to design your calculations and just buying a second hand RSJ off eBay, wiring the extension yourself then expecting an electrician to sign it off for you, cobbling together hop ups, packs of celotex and trestles rather than pay for scaffolding, tiling the roof yourself then finding you have a deluge of waterfalls coming in, etc ad infinitum.

By all means have a go at non life threatening things, such as laying and fixing floor joists, some non crucial blockwork/brickwork areas, plasterboarding, building stud walls, laying chipboard flooring, labouring for all the various trades, tiling your kitchen and bathroom, even fitting your kitchen provided you get professionals in to do the gas and electrics....... But use common sense and accept when and where to employ people to do the work you can’t, or daren't.

Abrickie and rogerk101 like this.
  14. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Best savings you can make is to employ a good builder, don’t try a project manage it yourself if it’s not your area of expertise, just look at all the threads where simple builds have gone bad because of none trade or basic diyers have thought it’s a piece of cake :)

Hfs likes this.
  15. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

I fully intend to get a builder and all the various trades I need to get it done safely and properly, was just wondering what I could do myself to keep costs down.
    So having read various threads seemingly slagging off different types of findabuilder.com, what would you wonderful trades people say is the best way to find a decent builder??
    Thank you

16. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Recommendation every time

17. Snoop Daffy Duck

Snoop Daffy Duck New Member

Whilst every builder can do footings i've always employed the services of a groundworker direct, i.e., somebody who just does footings and drainage, maybe a bit of landscaping, but doesn't get involved with anything above base level.

Probably couldn't do it now but back in the day, doing the barrow work saved a few quid and getting a bloke who could dig cut the time down considerably.