Extension leads with spaced out sockets?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Nail_2512, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Nail_2512

Nail_2512 Member

A bit of an odd one that I did try a brief google of but no big surprise that I couldn’t find anything once you see the explanation.

So in simple terms, power to half a dozen exam desks with google chrome books. They’ll have the battery charged already but it’s just a back up to make sure they don’t run out mid exam.

Unfortunately only one double socket available to power them. It’s not realistic to add more sockets.

There’s a bit of thinking of having a cable set-up ready to go in a box (as opposed to fixed trunking permanently in place) and making it as idiot proof as possible - plug one end in, stretch out in place.

To do that, the sockets need to be spaced along the length of the cable at 1m (ish) intervals. Has anyone seen such a thing? I haven’t! In a way, I could see it being feasible as there are multi socket extension leads but having not seen one, I wonder why - is it because in essence it’s a radial circuit off a radial circuit, etc?

The next easy option that would replicate what I’ve envisaged above is half a dozen extension leads with a double socket at each then daisy chain them so one socket feed the laptop, the other the next extension.

Obviously daisy chaining high loads is not acceptable but if it’s kept to a suitable load, cable not coiled up, RCD on the socket, is it ok?

Any other suggestions as to a solution?

I feel like I’m overthinking this but having worked with plenty of people that can’t just follow simple instructions of plug this to this to this, etc and then when finish put away in the box I want it as simples as possible!

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

While perhaps not ideal aesthetically, the daisy chained extension leads would be ok from a safety point of view. The fuse in the first lead would prevent any overload.

Ideally, you'd have a single socket in a box with the flex entering one side and exiting the other rather than plugging each one in. I don't think using a normal household socket and back box would be advisable though as they're designed for fixed installations due to no cable restraint.

What power lead do the netbooks use? If it's USB then battery power banks might be suitable.

3. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

If you can mount the sockets to the desks, make your own with loop in loop out to the next socket. If there isn't RCD protection to the circuit or you can't guarantee it (if the setup is transportable), wire a fixed RCD inline.

4. Nail_2512

Nail_2512 Member

Hhmm, good thought - the power socket is a USB- C. I’ll have to investigate the power bank idea but I could really see that working!

thanks!

5. Nail_2512

Nail_2512 Member

It all needs to be demountable - the desks would be out for a week then flat packed away with a few hundred others. Any bolted on sockets would get bashed about

Thanks though!