Exterior CCTV camera advice required

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by My Home Farm, Aug 2, 2019.

1. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

We want to put up 2 exterior cctv cameras that are connected to a HDD inside the house, and the distance between the two cameras would be around 20-25m. I’m struggling to see how I can wire our cameras as we have no loft space and don’t want to run cables on the exterior of the house.

Does anyone have any innovative suggestions?

2. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Wifi cameras, solar powered?

3. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

Wi-Fi was a consideration, but never occurred to me there was a solar choice. Will look into that.

4. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

I looking myself, seems they are available. https://www.swann.com/uk

5. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

I just like to suggest bad ideas but what about new coving in some rooms that could hide one powered network cable? Drill thru external wall at downward angle and fit externally. That would feed each camera and only needs one cable, though you have to get a "PoE" type camera.

Its only a thought cos you said no loft access.

6. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Tried a few pieces of Swann kit over the years, they all went back because they were useless

7. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

Thanks for that. I was looking at Swann, so will reconsider. Why were they useless?

8. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

There's some reviews on that website that might be useful. Sounds like good kit if you don't need security during the winter time.

9. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Night vision was terrible on both. A wifi set kept on dropping off the network even though one was 2m away from the router. The weren't waterproof / water sealed and kept on fogging up which probably caused the cameras to fail in the end

My Home Farm and BikerChris like this.
  10. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

11. wiggy

wiggy Well-Known Member

You do surprise me, I have had swann five years now, all good, hard wired.

12. rk_diy

rk_diy Member

when it comes to critical security, hardwired solutions work better, there are wifi, even 4g sim cameras but either expensive or useless.
    If you can run cat5 cables (one for each camera) then go for a system with PoE. (no additional cables for power)

BikerChris likes this.
  13. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

That's exactly what i wanna do...one day and hopefully not after we have had a problem/break in