Exterior masonry Paint not drying

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Lee Fenner, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Lee Fenner

Lee Fenner New Member

Hi, just had an outside wall painted last week and in places the paint is not drying. Certain patches are still touch wet and in a few areas it's congealed and still runny leaving streaks, especially when we had a down pour earlier this week.

Please can I have some recommendations of how I should proceed with this? I have got hold of the paint company (Sandtex) who, after a bit of back and forth have suggested that where the mortar may have blown previously that the surface is damp even when it would appear it's not.

To prepare the wall (red brick that had been previously painted) I used a grinder to remove as much loose as I could then wire brushed it clear. Although it's been wet weather lately, it hadn't rained for a couple days before it was painted.

Should the wall have been primed first? Can I prime it now? If so with what product? I've read about covering it with waterproofer? Again, what product and can I paint over it? Should I grind the affected areas again and try to repoint, not that I think I can identify the bad areas exactly.

Any advice greatly received!!

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The wall is damp, what's on the other side of wall?

3. Lee Fenner

Lee Fenner New Member

Nothing, it’s just a garden wall, neighbours side on one wall, the front side on another wall

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Typical garden wall problems (were not meant to be painted), has the wall ever had water repellents painted on it, does your neighbours side get the driving wind and rain attacking it.

5. Lee Fenner

Lee Fenner New Member

No idea I’m afraid. It was painted but was flakey so I removed all I could. North facing g bit only a simple city terraced house.

6. Lee Fenner

Lee Fenner New Member

should I put a water repellant on the effected area? If so can you recommend one that can be painted over?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No, the damp is inside the wall.

8. Lee Fenner

Lee Fenner New Member

I'm sensing that there's not a simple solution here....? I'm not going to knock down the wall! Is there anything I can do?