Exterior oil based wood paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Fineartist, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Fineartist

Fineartist New Member

Morning
    I’m now painting the exterior of a pine clad building. It was previously painted with Walnut oil based Sovereign SX70. There are quite a few knotts still oozing resin after 13 yrs.
    1. Do you use a heat gun first before applying Zinsser?
    2.Alternative to Zinsser that is dark brown?
    3. Any alternative Dark brown oil based preservative/paint to Sovereign SX70?
    Your advice about priming the interior walls with acrylic primer worked a treat!
    Many thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

1, You can do that to liven the knots up so they bleed, wipe off any sap with meths prior to applying Zinsser BIN.

2,Get the Zinsser tinted.

3, Why not go water base???? Take a look at Bedec Barn Paint it will go over many surfaces, limited colours available.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Zinnser BIN is only good for spot priming. Maybe aluminium primer over the lot then top coat as an alternate

4. Fineartist

Fineartist New Member

Thanks for the above info - very useful.
    The studio has been painted several times in the past with the oil based Sovereign SX70. Would the Bedec Barn paint go over the sanded surface that has been painted with oil based paint previously? And, does Bedec have a wood preservative in that would last 4-5 years before painting it again? The studio faces open farmland that is quite exposed in the winter months.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Bedec would go over the previous finish it does not contain a preservative as far as I am aware bit will last a good 5 - 8 years.. phone the Bedec Technical Support for specific questions would be a real help, 01279 876657;)

6. Fineartist

Fineartist New Member

Many thanks for your advice. Water based - sounds good to me! I will follow that up.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Another paint to consider is Dulux Trade .'Opaque' which is available in both oil and water based and is available in a greater range of colours. Take a look on YouTube at the product videos.