External Cat 5 crimping

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ian Atkins, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Ian Atkins

Ian Atkins New Member

I've tried in the past to extend wifi to my detached garage using wifi range extenders etc but with limited / no success. I'm now considering running a Cat 5 cable from the house to the garage and hopefully get a reliable connection established.
    I've looked at various Cat 5 crimping tools online however do I need a specific Cat 5 crimper for crimping eternal cables or should any Cat 5 crimper do the job?

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

WillyEckerslike and Ian Atkins like this.
  3. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Active Member

I concur with KIAB, that his method is the way to go. Also consider installing 2 cables at the same time, to provide future proofing.
    You will need a quality punch-down tool, I used my telephone punch-down tool (RJ45), from my phone extension days.

KIAB and Ian Atkins like this.
  4. Ian Atkins

Ian Atkins New Member

Thanks Kiab, hadn't thought of doing it that way but certainly makes sense.

5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

The Philex is good...i use that one.
    Make sure it's Cat5 E.
    Not just cat5.
    RS

KIAB likes this.
  6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

I installed a long run of Cat5e on a farm recently with a line powered repeater half way along the run. Used faceplates, a punch down tool and fly leads. Worked fist time.

7. retiredsparks

How long Bob ?
    Rs

8. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

If cable run is outside use exterior Cat 5e, uneffected by UV,etc.

You can also get armoured external Cat 5e, if running cable underground, but you could use ordinary external Cat 5e, if run in ducting( using a length of MDPE pipe here between house & workshop).

And look for full 100% copper conductors not (CCA) copper coated aluminum conductors, which is a poorer quailty cable.

Example: https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat5e-cable/20-excel-cat5e-utp-external-cable-ldpe-outer-sheath.html

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  9. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

I can crimp the plugs onto cat 5e indoor cable all day long but when I did some cameras recently the guy supplied exterior grade cable and I couldn't get the plugs to crimp down onto it for love nor money. the sheathing looked just as thin but was obviously a bit tougher, ended up having to trim it back a bit so the clamp missed it altogether.

Edit - I can't understand why he bought exterior cable because when we turned up to do the job he was insistent that all the cables were run internally.

10. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

About 150mts.

11. retiredsparks

ok... understand the repeater needed.
    Rs

12. Ian Atkins

Ian Atkins New Member

Sorry to dig up an old thread I started back in January. I finally got round to installing the Ethernet cable over the last couple of days following the advice given above and pleased to say when I came to testing it this evening it worked perfectly. Added a wireless access point too, almost worked straight out of the box with minimal setting up. Thanks to all the above for the advice.