External doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Simbo, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Simbo

Simbo Member

Looking for some advice, I have the following, wooden rear external door, must be about 50 years old with big bolts inside it and a mortise lock. It's an Eyesore and knackered!
    Front door is solid hardwood, not sure what kind, it has a Yale style lock and a mortise, the mortise is knackered. Been looking to change the yale style lock as I keep locking myself out the house banging the door shut behind before realising the keys are still on the couch.
    I'd rather not change the front door if possible as cash is fairly tight. Is there a type of lock similar to the Yale style that doesn't bang shut and requires a key to lock it from both sides? Or is there a mortise style lock that doesn't have the big huge key? Unfortunately both new locks would require to fit into the existing cut outs. Or would I just be better buying a new door either hardwood or UPVC?
    What would you recommend for the back door,solid wood or UPVC and roughly how much should I be looking at paying for one fitted.
    Any help appreciated.

2. Working On It

Working On It Member

Really Really do not like plastic doors, can't think of any thing else apart from a Euro sash and cylinder, keyed both sides and could be keyed alike for front and back, but this lock isn't any smaller than a good 5 lever tbh....
    WOI

Simbo likes this.
  3. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Roller bolt night latches are what you're looking for to replace the existing yale , same fitment sizes, just has a roller rather than a latch so can be pushed open from otherside if it closes, then you use the key to lock it from the outside or usually pull the lever on the inside to lock it from that side.
    If you don't like the 5lever deadlock keys then you could replace for a euro cylinder deadlock, will fit the same mortice but will need a bit of extra drilling out to accommodate for the euro cylinder on the faces .

Simbo likes this.
  4. Simbo

Simbo Member

Thanks for the replies, it's not the size of the lock, it's the key.
    I'll look into the Euro cylinder thing and roller bolt latches. Are these compliant with the standards for home insurance?

5. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

You'll need to check your own insurance policy as it can vary, generally nightlatches aren't stipulated it's normally just a requirement that the lock is a 5lever BS , or in the case of a euro cylinder a kitemarked BS one. I'd highly recommend getting an Avocet euro cylinder.

6. Working On It

Working On It Member

I think most of the Euro's are not insurance rated, only the more expensive ones, but if you visit a good lock smiths they'll be best place to show you the insurance rated Euro's...
    WOI