External filler for mortar joints/pointing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Blade1889, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Blade1889

Blade1889 New Member

Hi
    Is they an external filler on the market for repointing external brickwork prior to painting with Sandtex.
    I have a quite a few crumbing joints that need sorting before painting but didn’t really want to do a 3-1/4-1 mix as I’m no expert at pointing or mixing. I did buy a bag of Hanson ready mixed mortar mix which I did try but completely cocked it up as it was to runny I think and ended up everywhere and when dried just crumbled out.

Think it would be easier with ready mixed external filler as it all ready mixed and easier to apply but not sure if there’s anything available suitable for blown brick faces and repointing joints.

just want to get something in there to tidy it up and then get a coat of sandtex over it.

many advice or help appreciated

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Bagged ready mixed mortar is the universes way of punishing people for being lazy, it’s bloody useless. Sand and cement and mix your own ;)

gadget man and Blade1889 like this.
  3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Use the correct sand, the stuff B&Q sell is too sharp, does not have enough small particles in it. Fine for render but useless for laying and worse for pointing.

4. Blade1889

Blade1889 New Member

Was hoping they was an external filler available suitable for touching up the bits what need repointing. There’s not loads to do just a few horizontal and few vertical that’s it

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Before you start to point up, you should scrape out any loose mortar to make the joint deep enough to hold the new mortar.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This may well be a bodge and it probably is but if your looking for a 'filler' - strangely enough, I've just mentioned it on another post,,,,, regarding a repair to a post as it happens !

https://www.screwfix.com/p/toupret-touprelith-f-exterior-masonry-repair-filler-1-5kg/7626h

I'ts clearly not for pointing as its more a repair filler for concrete, masonry, stonework, etc
    But it does sound like your looking for an easy solution to 'patch up' as you say and your not looking at pointing the whole house with this - (would work out expensive) !

'Proper' pointing requires grinding out existing mortar to a good depth to give the new stuff enough bond and strength
    With the Toupret, you could just remove the loose stuff, brush away dust and lash on the filler

Mix and use like a normal powdered filler, can even sand it when dry, dries dark grey

YES,,,,,,not the correct product for the job I get it but,,,,,, just merely suggested a slight bodge that may well do and I'm sure that your house wont fall down as a direct consequence of using it

I will get my tin hat on now :eek:

7. Blade1889

Blade1889 New Member

That’s bang on pal exactly what I was after, no not pointing all house or I’d have grinder in joint and doing it correctly, just a few mortar joints were ive noticed while painting exterior that there **** and crumbling, no point painting them until sorted.
    Ive scrapped out damaged mortar as they were knackered easily enough.
    Thanks for info

DIYDave. likes this.