External Paint Recommendations (for bad render/running)

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Sav25, May 2, 2017.

1. Sav25

Sav25 New Member

I need to give the outside of my house a fresh coat of paint.

The current white paint (unknown - from the previous owner) seems to 'run' off on to the brick paint we have in places, almost like it's not meant to be rained on. It's making me wonder if the previous owner had a load of internal paint spare and bodged it.

I'd like to stop this, but i'm not sure which paint brand to go for. Sandtex seems to pop up a lot when searching, and I do want something I can easily find again.

The rendering has also seen better days after 100 years of abuse/changes/patching up etc, but we just don't have the cash to get that done yet. Does this mean I should use a textured paint, or the smooth versions?

Any recommendations on brand/type would be appreciated.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seems daft the expense on quailty paint when the base surface it's being applied to is sub standard.

3. Sav25

Sav25 New Member

Makes sense - but then I wonder how to sort out the base surface without re-rendering? It's going to be years before we can sort that out.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A light jet wash or elbow grease and soft brush will remove any thing lose