External Paint, Windows

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by CraigMcK, Apr 15, 2019.

1. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Well-Known Member

Hi
    Just looking for a bit of input. It's come to that time when my external wood needs doing. Historically it has been coated with Sadolin woodstain, but I'm thinking about changing to something like Dulux weathershield. The wood is getting on and I will need to change a couple of bits, hence the preference for something opaque to save the new wood showing through the Sadolin

Any pointers, options etc greatly appreciated.

2. LEH

LEH Active Member

Bedec Barn paint, Zinsser Allcoat Exterior, Sadolin Superdec :)

3. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

I would have a look at the Dulux trade Weathershield system. It is a 3 part system which includes a primer and wood treatment, then an undercoat followed by a top coat of gloss.

4. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Reading your post and what you require from the paint look no further than DuluxTrade Weathershield Ultimate Opaque, a superb product available in a good colour choice, it would have no problem in covering and adhering to the previous stain finish after initial preparation and provide lasting protection for up to 10 years.;)

5. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Opaque still requires priming tho ....

6. Astramax

Only on new or bare wood.

7. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

When I was looking for paint for my windows, I had a chat with the guys in the colour centre they didn't recommend applying directly without an undercoat / primer

8. Astramax

Perhaps they hadn't read the Dulux Data Sheets, or the Data Sheets are wrong.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  9. gac1967

gac1967 Member

I have used Dulux Trade Weathershield Ultimate Opaque on numerous exteriors and it is very good , it is solvent based and water repellent, and can last up to 10 years if done correctly, off the top of my head I think its around £50.00 for 2.5 litres.

10. Astramax

Did you use a primer as the data sheets indicate that for use on new timber only.

11. gac1967

gac1967 Member

Windows had already been treated over the years and no bare timber so just prepared them and painted them an never had any problems. Obviously any new or bare timber would need the correct primer but I have been lucky. ;)

12. Astramax

Ok, thanks, was beginning to doubt myself for a moment after sospans reply!

13. gac1967

gac1967 Member

No you are totally correct Astramax

Astramax likes this.
  14. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

The data sheet does say prime first on bare woo. Whether the interpretation is that weathered stained timber is classed as "bare" or they have had issues previously, I don't know.

However, giving something a coat of primer isn't much of hardship and something I would do anyway when radically changing products

15. gac1967

gac1967 Member

Bare or new timber coat with primer, but if you want to put on a coat of primer to be on the safe side go for it.
    33 Years as a Painter and Decorator and I am still learning :confused:

16. Astramax

I would probably use bullseye if priming to provide a good key for subsequent coats.

gac1967 likes this.
  17. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at some of those