External stone on inner wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kaylg, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Kaylg

Kaylg Member

Morning all,

Just after a bit of advice / insight.

Had issues around a spot in the wall where plaster was knackered and crumbling.

There appears to be stone from the external wall pertruding through the inner wall around where we have issues. (wall tie??)

Is there a reason for this or is it bodged?
    Would cutting it and rebricking the inner wall be a bad idea?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry the last one is upside down

Many thanks,
    Kay

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Looks like some real cowboy/girl of a hacker blocked up what was probably a bog pipe exit or a vent of some sorts. Instead of restoring it as a double skin wall with brick, he/she just mucked in whatever came to hand, i.e. rocks, creating an excellent thermal bridge in the process.
    If it was mine, I'd knock the whole lot out and do the job properly, with bricks to match and I'd even stuff some insulation in the cavity at the same time.
    BTW, it looks like the wall could do with a good bit of repointing!

3. duders

duders New Member

Looks like the cavity is bridged.clear the mortar and hopefully should dry the area up

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

As said above it looks like a toilet waste pipe. Since you have have hacked the plaster off it isn't too difficult a job to remove and replace. But do not put any insulation in the cavity as it could cause a lot more problems.

Oddly it looks like the area around the hole has been rebuilt as well.

Are you taking the inner skin down for some reason ?

5. Kaylg

Kaylg Member

Thanks for the replies. We are currently repointing as it goes. Will clear the mess and redbrick. Cheers.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you are going to get the wall rendered then it isn't really worth re-pointing.

Out of curiosity why is the inner skin shorter and painted white ?

7. Kaylg

Kaylg Member

We're getting the walls plastered after they're pointed.

The wall is shorter because it is where the old window board was sat on a tonne of mortar for level. We're cutting bricks to size for the window board to be level with the stone. It's not painted white it's just sun.

Cleared some bricks. Here is the nice mess we have. Good job we have lots of spare bricks from taking breast out.

[​IMG]

8. Kaylg

Kaylg Member

Also when you say don't put any insulation in cavity.

We put Kingspan and a dpm to act as a cavity closer under window board. Nothing more. Read the horror stories about CWI!

9. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

I think he meant putting random bits of insulation in the cavity. When a cavity is insulated it needs to be done as a whole job, and even then there have been problems in some cases.
    Make sure any debris is cleaned out of the cavity, especially at the bottom at DPC level.

10. Kaylg

Kaylg Member

Just a progress update. The deed is done! May look shoddy, never laid a brick in my life but I'm happy with it.

[​IMG]

11. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

That's fine. Old bricklayers expression is ' the spreads will get over it'.

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Looks like a job well done

Being in Wales the sunlight fooled me - :)

One of the previous posters suggestion was to stuff a blob of insulation where you replaced the stone. That wouldn't have helped much and could have made matters worse.

What are you going to put on the walls - render /plaster or some plasterboard. We have had a lot of good results in putting high quality insulated plasterboard on walls. It make a huge difference to the comfort in the room and doesn't have the potential issues of Cavity or External wall insulation