External wood stain

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Rick1632, Nov 20, 2020 at 9:22 PM.

1. Rick1632

Rick1632 Member

Anyone used Ronseal Exterior Woodstain (this) or something similar?

I'm trying to figure out what to use to protect the untreated smooth finished wood I'm using for trim on my shed - as well as the T&G shed doors as the fence/shed paint I planned to use on both the featheredge and the trim looks awful on the smooth surface trim.

2. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Bedec Barn Paint, Sadolin Superdec, Sadolin Classic, Saddolin Extra, ect, ect.

3. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Untreated timber would benefit from a couple of coats of clear preservative before applying any paint or stain.

4. Rick1632

Rick1632 Member

Thanks for the tips - I've got some SIKA wood preserver - so 2 coats of that first (I also dip the end grains)?

Reading the guides - extra recommends a base coat with classic first but I'm guessing that I could use any wood stain product and then top coat with the Sadolin Extra Clearcoat right? (so I'm only tinting once)

5. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Yes all over and dip.
    Classic first then a topcoat of extra in the same colour, look at Bedec Barn Paint on You Tube it is far better than the Sadolin classic & extra as being a water based product it is far more flexible and ideal for a shed.

6. Rick1632

Rick1632 Member

Thanks again - The Barn paint looks great (the drying time is so short!) but the lightest "stain" they do is medium oak it seems - which is a bit darker than I'd like. Found a few photos of stuff done in the Sandolin natural and it's exactly the look I'm going for, so I'll stick with that.
    Ouch - most I've ever spent on paint!