Extractor fan connected to plug

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Spitbob, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Spitbob

Spitbob New Member

Bought an extractor fan and its not possible for me to wire it into the mains, so I've purchased a plug for it to attach too. Problem is the fan has a timer, and presumably needs a three core and earth cable for the "live switched" input. Is there anyway I can get around this or purchase a switch/pull cord that can connect the plug wire to the one needed for the fan.

Cheers

2. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

You will need to connect to the mains and if it's a bathroom fan you will make a simple job a lot more complicated by plugging it it in . Get an electrician to wire it up properly

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If you can only connect with a plug you will need to connect both the permanent live and switched live together, the timer won't then work of course, you'll just have to use the switch on the socket (or pull the plug out!)

4. Spitbob

Spitbob New Member

How can I connect them?

5. Spitbob

Spitbob New Member

Not for a bathroom, just need to be able to switch it on occasionally.

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If you don't want a timer function, and are happy to just switch it on and off manually ,buy a fan without timer ?

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The timer fan will have three connections

Neutral
    Permanent live
    Switched live

Connect the neutral to the neutral
    Live to Permanent live
    and put a link wire between Permanent live and Switched live

8. Kam Banwait

Kam Banwait New Member

Did this work for you in the end? Does connecting the Perm and Switched live stop the timer from working?

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Yes it does work, and yes the timer will not time, it'll be on until it's switched off.

10. Kam Banwait

Kam Banwait New Member

Oh man, was hoping there’s a way of having it plugged in & time itself off if the humidity was at a lower point or something.

11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

This thread is about a timer fan. A fan won’t react to a change in humidity if it has a humidity function.
    Maybe better if you start your own thread, state the make and model of your fan, and describe what you want to achieve.