extractor fan makes dimmer switch cycle on and off

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by iandym, Dec 31, 2020.

1. iandym

iandym New Member

Can anyone shed some light on this issue please. I have fitted a Vari light dimmer and it works perfectly until I switch the extractor fan on in my en suite then the lights on the dimmer go off then come back on after 1-2 seconds. I am baffled. all the neutrals are connected and tight, the wiring is the same as with the old dimmer and the 9 led lamps fitted are 5 watt dimmable. any ideas please?

2. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Yes.
    The extractor fan is not intended to be dimmed.

3. iandym

iandym New Member

Thanks for the reply. The extractor is not connected to the dimmer. The dimmer is on 1 wall for the lights in the bedroom, on another wall is a double switch for the bathroom lights and one for the fan which also has an isolator at the top of the wall. I'm baffled tbh.

4. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Electronic noise from the extractor ( especially a low voltage type with a brushless motor) can set these dimmers crazy. Try resetting the varilights

5. Hoops-senior

Hoops-senior Member

Why have you posted this twice?

6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

My varilight dimmer does the same when I turn OFF my garage fluorescent light. Every time. Varilight electronic dimmers are known for this. Change the dimmer module for a zano.