Extractor fan

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Blimp, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Blimp

Blimp New Member

Hi, I’ve bought an Xpelair extractor fan and it has 3 connections (L, N, T). My lighting cable just has live neutral and earth.
    Any suggestions as to how to wire up would be very welcomed! thanks.

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Well that's not very nice is it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2020
  3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

3 core and earth)
    Connect the L and T connections together, it will mean that the timer function won't work but the fan will work and it will save you having to run another cable. (3 core and earth) I'm assuming you have a switch for the fan?

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That is exactly how he behaves on DIYNOT, under a different handle.

Little constructive Information, Often misleading. Orherwise just sniping and put downs.

Blimp and Coloumb like this.
  5. Blimp

Blimp New Member

Thanks for your response. No I don’t have a switch - won’t it just work with the lights? I’m afraid that the manual is silent on all points!

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Is the fan a new installation ,or are you replacing an existing fan ?

7. Blimp

Blimp New Member

It’s a new installation.

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

At the ceiling light fitting , what conductors are present , do you only have the switched live ,neutral and earth ? No permanent live ?

9. Blimp

Blimp New Member

Yes that’s all - just live, neutral and earth - and it’s the same at the wall switch.

10. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

At the wall switch you might find you have live and live return which you might of mistaken for the neutral a photo would help if you could post one of the switch wiring..

11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If you want to have the extractor run on using its timer ,you have to run a permanent live ,switched live ,neutral and earth to it. You may have all present at the switch location ,if so ,you will need to run a cable from there to the extractor.

12. Blimp

Blimp New Member

Ah! Yes I think that must be the case but the main circuit isn’t accessible without taking up the floor above so I think I’m stuck with having to connect into the L/N/E

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes that will work ok as long as you don't mind the fan running all the time the light's on.

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Hmm. That’s what most fans do! With a timer fan, the idea is that the fan continues to run after the light is switched off.

seneca likes this.
  15. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

At least you have your own fan club..

Bazza likes this.
  16. Darkslider

Darkslider Member

I don't know how far you're into the job, but I've just fitted one in my kitchen and it was going to be a big job to run any lighting cables anywhere near but it was very close to the socket radial that was in surface mounted trunking. So I bought a humidistat equipped extractor and used a switched FCU fused down to 5a spurred from the socket circuit. Leave it switched on all the time and it comes on every time I boil the kettle or run the hot tap, seems dead handy so far!

17. Blimp

Blimp New Member

Good thinking - but my fan is in a toilet so that might not work.
    In the end I decided to take up the floor above aNd run the wires from the junction box. Rather more work than I’d bargained for but it seems to be working now so I’m rather relieved!

terrymac likes this.