extraneous conductive parts Ahhhhh

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by brainebird, Mar 14, 2008.

1. brainebird

brainebird New Member

Please someone help this brain dead moron.

For some reason my brain just will not differentiate between an exposed conductive part and an extraneous conductive part.

This is probably an idiot question to you all but I seem to be tying myself up in knots over it.

Heeeeeeelp and be nice i'm feeling very fragile

2. *welsh.wizard*

*welsh.wizard* New Member

3. *welsh.wizard*

4. general matter's

general matter's New Member

metalwork thats part of an electrical appliance and could become live (directly)is EXPOSED CONDUCTIVE PART

metalwork which has nothing to do with an electrical appliance/installation which could become live (in-directly) is extraneous, ie a radiator!

5. brainebird

brainebird New Member

Hurrah !!!! By jove i've got it

I kept thinking exposed conductive parts were things like the metal body of a kettle for instance.

I wish i'd asked last night now, i may have slept much better. Trouble is this forum can be quite intimidating for the newbies and inexperienced.

Thanks General for the simple explanation and those links were brilliant welsh

Onwards and upwards :)

6. *welsh.wizard*

I wish i'd asked last night now, i may have slept much better. Trouble is this forum can be quite intimidating for the newbies and inexperienced.

That's true - But, THIS one isn't. ;)

7. prosparks

prosparks New Member

Sometimes it takes a while to get to grips with some topic or theoretical idea. But don't be afraid to ask clear sensible questions.
    Although you could have got your answer from the definitions section in BBB (BS 7671 page 22).

Sometimes things need to be explained from a different angle for the penny to drop.

8. prosparks

prosparks New Member

I wish i'd asked last night now, i may have slept
    much better. Trouble is this forum can be quite
    intimidating for the newbies and inexperienced.

No it isnt , so shut your face or you will be eating through a straw for 6 weeks Wiz !!

lol

9. *welsh.wizard*

> No it isnt , so shut your face or you will be eating
    through a straw for 6 weeks Wiz !!

lol

Oh No - Not again, I am only just recovering from when you "filled me in" last time. :'(

10. prosparks

prosparks New Member

When was that !! ya little mochen ? lol

11. *welsh.wizard*

12. Outrageous

Outrageous New Member

metalwork thats part of an electrical appliance and
    could become live (directly)is EXPOSED CONDUCTIVE
    PART

metalwork which has nothing to do with an electrical
    appliance/installation which could become live
    (in-directly) is extraneous, ie a radiator!

You may want to re-write what you've posted!

Think about it.

13. Outrageous

Outrageous New Member

metalwork thats part of an electrical appliance and
    could become live (directly)is EXPOSED CONDUCTIVE
    PART

metalwork which has nothing to do with an electrical
    appliance/installation which could become live
    (in-directly) is extraneous, ie a radiator!

Anyone else agree this post is flawed?

14. Outrageous

Outrageous New Member

OMG, supposedly qualified people here don't kwon their @rse from there elbow :O

15. general matter's

yes my quick post/definition is strictly wrong to the letter, but i know what i was on about, and i believe a qualified spark would of known/interpreted it........
    maybe i'll copy and paste for the less experienced next time! FORGIVE ME ANYONE OFFENDED! ;)

16. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

I would never kwon my elbow let alone my **** .

17. general matter's

the definition of an extraneous conductive part..... which is a part liable to introduce a potential, generally earth potential, and not forming part of the electrical installation.........

me too LD! especially recently....see you try ya best and still get flack! :O

18. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

I had no probs with your post :)

19. MechEng

MechEng New Member

All I was thinking is that the rads may be connected to various items of equipment that are part of the electrical installation via copper pipe. Therefore making them part of the electrical installation in a round about way....Immersion Heaters, Boilers, 3 Port Valves etc.

20. general matter's

cheers LD, but again different people DO have different opinions on these two conductive parts!

we all know the earthed metal casing of say a kettle is an EXPOSED CONDUCTIVE PART

an EXTRANEOUS CONDUCTIVE PART is deemed by some to be anything metallic which doesn't play any part in the electrical installation. others say its not EXTRANEOUS if isolated from earth by more than 50Kohms. others think this figures too low and raise it etc etc