F20 fault on Vailiant ecoTec plus 937

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Leslie L, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Leslie L

Leslie L New Member

Hi Everyone. I have had a boiler installed in March 2020 (a replacement like for like Valliant boiler). It has cut out twice with F20. Valliant came out and state that I have "All" my rads off so the boiler cut out due to over heating. The thing is that not all my radiators were off, most were actually on (open) including a vast area of underfloor heating connected to the same boiler. I am now being charged £98.00 for a call out because they say the boiler was not at fault and it was because I turned off the radiators. They now threaten that if I do not pay the charge they will cancel my full 5 years cover. To be clear, the previous boiler was beyond economical repair and Valliant replaced the boiler within the 5 year warranty. Valliant commissioned the engineer to fit the boiler and now say they take no responsibility for the job done by their engineer. The guy that came out came in a valliant van and suited in their logo clothing, yet they say it was not their engineer who did the job.

1. Can they do that? Deny responsibility and cancel my 5 year cover because I refuse to pay because the unit is under warranty, 3 months old and at no point informed that I would be charged until I got the letter?
    2. How can I constructively challenge this?
    3. He did not check all the radiators and simply assumed "all" the radiators were off.
    4. Under the terms he should have said the call out was not in line with the warranty and therefore a charge would be made - however, he did NOT state that it was chargeable.
    5. I cannot find anywhere on all forums that the boiler will go in to F20 if the rads are off, it does not appear to be associated with the code F20.
    6. Any advice from you guys would be welcomed

Thank you
    Les

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Who engaged and paid the installation engineer and the breakdown engineer ? If vaillant did ,it's obvious you have no contract with either ,and they were agents of Vaillant.
    Is the boiler now ok ,or too early to tell?
    If engineer has sorted the problem ,pay for it. If he was wrong ,as you suggest ,the problem will re occur. You will then have power to your argument that it was not fixed ,and you should demand re imbursement.
    Put all this in writing to them.

3. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Without getting into who is at fault, from the manufacturers point of view, they guarantee the boiler, not the system.
    They can check for a boiler fault, and can tell if it’s a system fault or a boiler fault,

it seems it’s a system fault, and you are liable to pay for the call out, if that’s the problem .

if we install a boiler we ask the customer to call us before calling the manufacturer, to avoid this,

good luck

Peter

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Even with all the radiators off I would not expect that fault code if any.
    This is basically no different to zone valves closing. The boiler shouldn’t overheat as the built in bypass should prevent this.
    It should simply cut off once the temperature reaches whatever is selected.

Do you have an external bypass fitted?

5. Leslie L

Leslie L New Member

Hi all
    The matter has been resolved as Vailiant has conceded that they were indeed wrong. Can I thank you all for your kind response and I have taken note as the problem is likely to reoccur again. Vailient did commission the work and paid the engineer therefore the contract was with them and the engineer that came out. Please see below:

I suddenly got an email today from Vailiant saying the charge is cancelled and no further action. I guess they accept that the charge was incorrect based on "All" the rads off when they were not. If the problem occurs again I will have to notify them and will state the advice here form you guys. Thank you so much. It has been a great help 7 th July, 2020

Dear Mr Latchman We attended your property on the 24th June, 2020 to a report of F20 showing on the boiler display. Our engineer found that all the radiators in the property were turned off whilst the heating was on and this is causing the F20 overheat code. A water sample was taken and sent off for independent testing. A manufacturer’s code was added to your account to indicate an external issue. An automatic charge for attending a non-boiler fault was issued. We have now cancelled this charge and removed the code from your account. We trust this information is of use to you.
    Regards

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Good ,should think so too !!
    Thanks for letting us know.

Leslie L likes this.