Fake turf - Artificial Grass advice needed. See pics

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by bond007, May 9, 2016.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

Guys
    I'm after a bit of advice and help please. I have attached pictures of the garden section which i want to leval with the existing flagging. The area in question is currently where the grass is. (HEXAGON part)

I want to possibly remove the tree and square box from the middle - depending on cost.
    Or just work around it and lay the fake turf. The section is approx 17ft * 16ft and needs 0.6ft raising to it will be leval with the paving and in line with the sleepers. On the pictures i have highlighed it in the red.

My question is what would be the cheapest way in going about it? Will i have to concrete that section or is there a different way?
    How much will it cost approx ?

I only want to turf the HEXAGON part leval to the sleepers.
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  2. bond007

Or if anyone has a step by step tutorial for DIY.

Will need to find out if i need to put core on it to riase the ground leval

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The fact you are low is in your favour.

Removing the box will make your life so much easier.

(1) remove box.
    (2) cut existing grass.
    (3) fit treated timber to the existing sleepers to bring level up to the paving
    (4) lay a membrane over the area.
    (5) lay 20mm stone over the area, round stones not crushed (Sharp edges may cut membrane) compact with a plate vibrator, to within 30mm of finished level.
    (6) lay membrane.
    (7) lay sharp sand over the area compating to within 5mm of finished level, you will need a straight edge to level the sand.
    (8) lay turf.

You may need a treated batten around the inside edge of area to nail the turf down to, this stops it lifting.

If it was mine I would go to the existing sleeper level with a batten fitted to the inside edge of those, this will leave you a small step down from the paving, but will be a lot easier for you to do.

4. bond007

Step 3 - u mean I should deck the entire hexagon area?
    Can I not fill the section area with pebbles ans flatten it Down?

What would be the most cheapest option to choose?

5. bond007

Guys update on my Garden project

I have removed the box and the tree from middle of hexagon part of the grass.
    The area in question to cover is about 28sqm. I need to raise it by approx 125mm, how many tonnes hardcore would i need to cover that area?
    Then put membrane on top of that and raise is another 25mm with sharp sand - how many tonnes will i need of that?

Also am i right in saying i need build a inside hexagon sub frame so the turf can be nailed on to it?

Thanks

6. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Is this the recommended way of prep'ing for fake grass? I would think the sand would bed into the hard core even with a membrane and result in a lumpy lawn, but to your question.

If you look at a builders bag being a cubic metre, you want 125mm depth from 1000mm high, so ~8 x 1m2 that is about 3.5 bags un-compacted. I would think you would be about 5 bags of hardcore. Sand is the same principle, you would get about 40m2 from one bag, so that would give you some spare. How are you planning to compact both down

Can you get grass wide enough so it does not have a join in it? I believe you need to stake it down at quite small intervals, but never done it so no idea how important that is

7. bond007

Or my other option is to put the following in woogships and put the following for kids
    http://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/...re/?siteID=hL3Qp0zRBOc-Acc8DOkErZd1hNPSrgDw0A

Would only raise is by about 35mm cos i'm not bothered after to be level with the flagging. Could be a cheaper option.

How many bags of woodships would i need?..i would put membrane on top of the grass and then chips on top of it?

how do i go about bolting the swing frame to the ground?

8. bond007

regarding laying the membrane , which GSM one will i go for?
    Only putting woodships on top so still need a heavy duty one?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use a landscaping fabric, it's made for the job.

[​IMG]

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  11. bond007

Whats difference between landscaping fabric and membrane?

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Membrane is basically a big plastic sheet, landscaping fabric is a woven sheet so it allows drainage but should suppress weed growth.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Phil may or may not be using the same terms.:)

14. Mike The Spanner

Mike The Spanner New Member

15. bond007

Guys, the same area above in the post - how much would it cost approx to get it paved with big square slabs?

So its in line with existing paving which is on the opposite side.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

17. bond007

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use MOT 1 to raise the level,well compacted, with the weight of the slabs,may be possible to get away with bedding them on mortar,just a 30mm layer of sharp sand to lay them on, depends on the MOT 1.

19. bond007

So i would need to remove all existing grass etc first then lay a membrane on it?

Then compact it with MOT 1 to raise the leval?

Then Sharp sand?

Then mortar on top to lay the slabs?

Anyone care to do me a step by step guide please....

Thanks

20. bond007

How would I got about if I wanted to just concrete this area in question?

CAn I hire a concrete mixer and do the job.

I Just want it flat up until the sleepers so its leval with the paving side of the garden.

Thanks