Falling toilet seat

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ron Hinkson, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Ron Hinkson

Ron Hinkson New Member

I have just had my toilet changed from lever at plumbers suggestion and the press button protrudes so far that the toilet seat won’t stay up. Other than going back to the old lever type cistern is there any way of getting around this problem? I have had a look at the double flush levers on line and they seem to protrude as much as the button. At the present I am having to hold it up with a wire.

Hope you can help urgently

Hinky

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Velcro?

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Some seats this happens to. Mostly close couple toilets. Just a case of finding seat that works. I have one toilet like this and so far not found a soft close seat that works with it

4. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

You may be able to change the fixings so it it futher from the cistern, undo it and have alook

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Surely the correct answer is to get the plumber back as it’s down to him/her to sort out as you’ve now been left with a toilet seat not fit for purpose

Attaching a wire or Velcro or any other kind of ‘work around’ is simply madness and why should you have to come up with a workable ‘Heath Robinson’ solution ?

What exactly did you have changed by the plumber ? The complete toilet or just the lever / flush assembly ?

Why was the suggestion of changing from lever flush to button made ?

Does the flush button / lever / fit direct to cistern or is cistern boxed in ?

Some flush buttons have additional spacers that can be added or removed

Guessing you didn’t notice this before the chap left ?

Call him/her and ask to pop back over and take a wee without circumcising himself :eek: (probably ok if a she as will be sitting down .... I would imagine) :D

Sorry, but really don’t get it when you’ve paid for a job to be done - the job isn’t satisfactory yet the advice given is for you to sort out the issue yourself

That’s simply not fair, however small the job may be

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

You don't want the lady of the house stuck to the seat though so fix the hooked side to the cistern....

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

The push button should be to the side or above and not partly obscured by the seat. he has failed to do thejob, get him to sort it.

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  8. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Push button loos are a retrograde step in every possible circumstance. I'd never replace a lever with a button for a customer.

Dribbling push button operated flush valves are the biggest source of wasted clean water in the UK. As my learned colleagues have said, get him back
    and make him put a proper syphon and lever in there again.

9. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

It's obviously not the right seat for that toilet or it's been installed wrong. The plumber needs to come back and sort it out