FAO: Looch.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Fada Mach, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Most human alternatives to religion have been an unmitigated disaster.

3. Fada Mach

Fada Mach New Member

Normalism.

Where people answer to themselves.

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Hmmm interesting:

"Normalism started off as something of a joke – one that was in direct opposition to the current presentation of religion. An attempt is often made to make things great; to take a good idea or strong belief and attempt to make it seem an amazing work of wonder. While there are definitely such works, they are few and far between. Normalism attempts to create a proud place for that which is not amazing, but important, nonetheless.
    Normalism takes everyday life as its runway. Much belief is either totally involved in itself or extremely eager to make perfect sense. While these are extremes that are necessary and appreciated for what they are by many, normalism has found a powerful middle ground.

Normalism finds importance in what is there but through subtlety or perhaps commonality is often overlooked. However, it does not stop there. normalism seeks to raise awareness about the many diverse stimuli that can provoke thought and appreciation.

Normalism accepts that these notions might not be mind blowing. That helps make it normalism.

If you can understand that gibberish you are indeed a profound and clever chap! :)

5. Fada Mach

Fada Mach New Member

Oops, I thought I had just coined the term 'Normalism'.. :(

ALL I want - I'm a reasonable fellow - is for religion to be stripped off all it's current entitlements - NO concessions for 'believers' above what the rest of us have to abide by, it NOT to be taught as part of the school curriculum (apart from brief visits under 'culture' or something else), FAITH schools to be raised to the ground (ok, stripped of their status), and such like.

I'd just like things to be normal, like.

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Funny enough I think most ( not all!!!!) religious people and religions would not object to being treated the same as non-believers, secular folks.

"favouritism" and "politically correct practices" can be just as damaging to most faiths as allowing them not to be protected. It just makes non-believeres even more aggressive towards believers.

Lets face it.

If your "God" can't handle a bit of ribbing and abuse he's not very omnipotent is he?

7. Fada Mach

Fada Mach New Member

Anyone see last Wednesday's MORE 4 prog with Dawkins examining faith schools? Jesus Kryst.

To their credit, the only faith school that allowed the cameras in to observe lessons was a Muslim school. But that was frightening enough.

This was a high-achieving school where many of the pupils were expected to become doctors, layers, etc. After a year-10 science lesson, Dawkins was allowed to talk to the female class. Both the pupils and their teacher claimed that they encouraged open thought and reason - they were simply given the options and they were free to arrive at their reasoned decisions.

Not one of the year 10 girls accepted evolution as being even plausible; instead it was all Allah's creation as written in the Koran. And they claimed to have been taught it all, and arrived at their decision with free will.

These are the Muslim doctors and lawyers of the future.

(And what was going on hidden inside Catholic and Jewish schools doesn't bear thinking about...)

8. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Well I shall probably watch it tonight. The trouble is Dawkins is a s much of a zealot and bigoted nutter as the religious freaks.

9. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

Blimey:O

10. Fada Mach

Fada Mach New Member

Dearie me, Cap'n. More bo!!ocks.

Dawkins is a superbly clear-headed fellow who explains things with astonishing clarity and humour.

Yes, he has an alternate view, but don't denounce him for that...

'Cos, he's right. :)

11. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

He may have some good ideas. I don't like his religious zeal and blinkered bigotry though!

12. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

That Dawkins chap has some very persuasive arguments and a good deal of commonsense. Little wonder that he has so many devoted followers......

In seeking to decry certain religions, he's managed to set himself up as a new messiah, feeding on the feeble-mindedness of his 'Dawkinism' acolytes and thereby spawning another 'religious' faction.

Worship Dawkins if you will, but at least recognise that by doing so you simply become another worshipper.

If you have led a decent life - and if Dawkins has also done so, then you and he will be admittted to the Kingdom of Heaven when Our Lord comes again to judge the Quick and the Dead.

God bless you all (except Clint) whatever your persuasion........

Lucia x

13. G Brown

G Brown New Member

..and what has the sainted Cliff ever done to deserve eternal damnation and a spiteful glance from Lucia? :)

14. G Brown

G Brown New Member

or Clint or whatever he's called!

15. susej

susej New Member

In seeking to decry certain religions, he's managed to set himself up as a new messiah, feeding on the feeble-mindedness of his 'Dawkinism' acolytes and thereby spawning another 'religious' faction.

So denying the veracity of all religions is a religion???

newsflash...there are and always have been many millions of athiests around. Dawkins is just one of the more eloquent of the current spokesmen, though personally I prefer Hitchens.

By the way, the "feeble minded" tag would be better applied to those who need the crutch of an utterly illogical belief that dying isn't the end.

16. "..and what has the sainted Clint ever done to deserve eternal damnation and a spiteful glance from Lucia? "

It's odd really cos I've been nothing but nice to the x-dressing weirdo.

17. nothing wierd about x-dressing luv.

18. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

19. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Well I watched the first hour and put the second hour on to record. It does make you think though........

20. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

By the way, the "feeble minded" tag would be better applied to those who need the crutch of an utterly illogical belief that dying isn't the end.

Perhaps so, but there's an awful lot of people on this planet who would like to pass away in the secure belief that their soul will pass on to a higher place. It's of great comfort to the elderly when they realise their time is almost up. I'm one such person and I certainly don't view my belief in the teachings of Our Lord as any kind of 'crutch'.

It sure as hell beats believing that dead is dead and the next stop is oblivion.

Lucia.