Fascia and soffits

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by problem, Feb 24, 2005.

1. problem

problem New Member

Hi ppl
    im thinking about replacing the fascia on my house and was wondering how to go about the job
    do i screw it in or adhesives?
    plz help thanks

2. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Screw or nail it with stainless steel screws/ring nails (polytop)..are you using cover board or are you taking off the old fascia board??

3. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

Polytops is the normal way to go, just make sure you set them out neatly, nothing looks worse than nails all over the show.

OK Chippies wanna laugh, this is true, I swear it, there is a sparks working at my current job and he has put his fascia up with; wait for it; you're gonna love it,.......

.........VELCRO

4. Scoobie

Scoobie New Member

Im also needing to replace my soffits & fascias & guttering.
    I wasn't aware you could use cover board. Is it still the best thing to use even with new gutters going up? Will the rotting old fascias not cause problems in the future?
    Whats the best option with replacing the soffits?
    Any help much appreciated.

5. Rojjie

Rojjie New Member

Im also needing to replace my soffits & fascias &
    guttering.
    I wasn't aware you could use cover board. Is it still
    the best thing to use even with new gutters going up?
    Will the rotting old fascias not cause problems in
    the future?
    Whats the best option with replacing the soffits?
    Any help much appreciated.

You'll get the old die hards telling you not to use clad boards and the old must be taken off,
    In my opinion clading is best as long as the boards you have up there at the moment aren't too far gone.
    When you take the old off, at least the first two rows of tiles will drop an inch or two, imagine trying to hold a 5 metre length of fascia up and pushing all those tiles back up. sure, you can do it in shorter lengths but it looks pants with joiners all over the shop. them tiles are never gonna go back just the way they where anyway.
    Also, more often than not, the first row of tiles arent even fixed, take the old fascia off and they're all on the deck.
    Cladding all the way for me

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yes, you should take down the old fascia if it too far gone. What is meant by too far gone ? Well, I'd consider
    if it was rotten at the top, that's ok (when treated-wet rot cuprinol eg) if it is not rotted down more than a quarter of it's height. The lower part is fixed to the rafter ends, and the plastic will be fitted to the good wood and will then be holding up your tiles. It can be done by ripping down the top off the fascia(skillsaw), and refitting up to height with a batten.

Handyandy - really