Fascia Board insulation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by flynny76, Jan 17, 2013.

1. flynny76

flynny76 New Member

Hi,

I have a flat roof property with UPVC facia boards above all the upstairs windows, the problem I am having is condensation all of the upstairs windows especially during the cold weather.

the windows are not particularly old and the fascias were replaced around 5 years ago, incidentally I do seem to remember that when they were replaced there was no insulation behind them and that's what I would like to know, 1 is this likely to be the cause of my condensation and 2 do I need to put insulation behind the boards.

Any help with this will be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Paul

2. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

Hi Flynny .... No is the answer to your question we don't put insulation behind the fascias the insulation should be in the roof space. Condensation can be a big problem and its all down to venterlation, dont you have trickle vents on the windows ? they should be open .Things like cooking on the hob you need the extrator on , tumble drier is the same needs to be vented out the wall.

3. petertheplumber

petertheplumber New Member

Nwales is right and also its worth mentioning that anybody's heating should be designed to at least 2 changes of air in all bedrooms every hr to allow for ventilation, all the moist air from downstairs goes upstairs too, people dry clothes and towels and don't get rid of the water they produce.

4. @BuilderMCR

@BuilderMCR New Member

Open all windows wide and sell your car to pay your gas bill.

5. petertheplumber

petertheplumber New Member

Actually I haven't costed it but I reckon it is probably cheaper to use a tumble drier vented outside thro' a proper gravity loovered vent than pay the extra energy bill keeping the warm from ventilating for clothes drying.