Fascia board/insulation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by refurb, Oct 15, 2007.

1. refurb

refurb New Member

I have insulated the oak rafters of my extansion, 150mm x 50mm, with kingspan. The eaves are currently open, before I infill inside & fix the fascia board is it necessary to insulate the void between the inside making good & the fascia board?
    Thanks

2. J.T. Builders Ltd

J.T. Builders Ltd New Member

Is it just me, or does that question not make much sense?

could u explain in more detail.

3. refurb

refurb New Member

Sure
    Imagine the rafters of 150mm x 50mm, they sit at the eaves on the wall plate/frames. The fascia board fixed to the edge of the rafters, inside there is a gap from the top of the frames to the boarding which is pinned to the top of the rafters. I hought I would put plaster board, on the top of the frames, inside the extension and seal/paint. From the inside to the outside, i.e. fascia board there is a void of around 100mm width & 270mm height. Should I insulate this or leave it as a void?
    Hope this is a little clearer.
    Thanks

4. ­

­ New Member

No, still makes no sense.

5. refurb

refurb New Member

OK
    You have a built an extension with a dwarf wall with frames sat on the wall. The frames are about 1200mm high & the wall is 600mm high. The pitched roof sits on the top of the frames. The rafters are 150mm x 50mm, the overhang of the rafters for the fascia board is about 250mm high with the boards, 50mm x 50mm timber on the rafters with Kingspan in between. The fascia board will be fixed directly onto the ends of the rafters. Inside the height from the frames to the the rafters is about 200mm. I intend to fill this with plasterboard & paint. The area between the inside & the outside( fascia board ) is the void in question. Should I insulate this all round the extension or leave is like a vaccuum, i.e just a void?
    Thanks again

6. ­

­ New Member

> the overhang of the rafters for the fascia
    board is about 250mm high with the boards, 50mm x
    50mm timber on the rafters with Kingspan in between.

Still doesn't make sense

> Inside the height from the frames to
    the the rafters is about 200mm.

I thought the rafters sat on the frames?

7. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

They sit on a wall plate *

[Edited by: admin6]

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

They sit on a wall *

The wallplate is the top of the frame*

Mr. HandyAndy - really

9. ­

­ New Member

So why does he say the rafters sit 200mm above the frames?

10. ­

­ New Member

This guy couldn't explain how to draw a straight line.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

So why does he say the rafters sit 200mm above the
    frames?

I guess he's on about the top of the rafters being 200mm above the top of the plate.

And I guess everything outside this line is the part he wishes to know whether to insulate. To me and you, above the soffit, behind the fascia(which would NOT be normally insulated, but rather vented in itself.

Only guessing though.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

12. refurb

refurb New Member

Extremeley clever man, another * spanner,

Handy Andy has got it, thanks, I understand it should be vented not insulated, just curious in case of a cold spot.
    Thanks all, excluding the spanners!!

[Edited by: admin5]

13. J.T. Builders Ltd

still doesn't make much sense, any chance of a pic?

14. ­

­ New Member

refurb, * Nobody here really understands*. Handy said "I guess" when he replied about your query.

I'm only sticking around on this thread because I want to see your next explanation.

15. refurb

refurb New Member

The problem is Extremelyclever spanner is that it is quite difficult to explain. However, childish remarks like yours do not help anyone, don't think for one minute you have an army of admirers*

16. J.T. Builders Ltd

Hang on a minute refurb, we are all (even ECM ;) ) trying to help you here, but you don't make any sense.

can you get a pic?

17. ­

­ New Member

JT, I doubt he knows how to post a picture link here.

18. fatdragon

fatdragon New Member

i think i know but i'm too scared to say...

19. refurb

refurb New Member

See what I mean about the remarks from these 2.

He probably cannot even load a photo, his wife in fishnet stockings?
    Firstly, I could load a photo, but I think the answer to my question is from Handy Andy, I need to ensure there is ventilation behind the fascia board/soffit. 2ndly, I would load a photo of my wife in fishnet stockings for the ' Spanner man ' but unfortunately we lost her in a road traffic accident when a drunk driving his car fell asleep & ran head on into her mini, she died instantly.
    Still, I suppose ' Spanner man ' wouldn't know the sort of pain that we live with every day & have done since 2002. No, you're wrong, don't want sympathy, just wanted advice. Thanks to all who did reply with suggestions & potential answers. I will keep asking for advice & will just keep ignoring the ' Spanners '.