Fault finding with electronic switches with no neutral?

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by MGW, Sep 18, 2019.

1. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

It seemed so easy, fit the electronic switch then I can use a remote control to switch on lights, that is until some thing goes wrong, with no load the switch will not work, so put bulb in other light, and it worked OK so swapped switch back to standard and all working.

However it could have been dirt on bulb contracts, the ceiling rose not plugged in properly or the electronic switch, now I need to put switch on a load to test it.

The first electronic switch worked fine, powered a B22d bulb at 12 watt in my bedroom allowing me to use a remote to switch off lights when in bed, moved house so took it with me, it is this one which went wrong, however when first worked so well, I got more, and then the trouble started.

First problem switch box not deep enough, local electrical whole sale outlet did not stock spacers, had to drive 40 miles to Screwfix and back to get spacers, then only got three and found I needed four.

Then my room the GU10 lights flickered, swapped bulbs to those from kitchen and it cured it, however you need to have some other GU10 lights to be able to swap bulbs.

Then wife's bedroom when switched off, it would slowly change brightness, bulbs G9 were dim able, and there were 5 of them, but needed a capacitor load, normal electrical whole sale outlet did not know what they were, not stocked in Screwfix found them in CEF however they are not that small and not easy to fit inside the light.

Then got the problem with switch failing to switch on, still don't know for sure if switch faulty. I now wish I had not bought them, but the same problem with dimming switches, if no neutral remove the bulb and they auto switch off, so if a single bulb a real pain.

And it may work A1 then you change the bulb and it does all daft things.

2. HappyHacker

HappyHacker Active Member

Isn't all this new technology wonderful!

I have installed some with out any call backs but they were relatively expensive wireless ones (Lightwave).

I have also had lots of problems with LED lights and will only install the expensive brands or the customer can buy their own.

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

The problem is neither switch or bulb has info with them to say what current they will sink what current it needs to work.

4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Just fitted an OCTO controller for outside lights customer loves it, generally most LED is quite reliable unless you buy proper tat then you asking for trouble

5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I got caught out buying expensive, got some expensive CFL globe shaped spent £80 on 16 bulbs, within the year only 6 left, cheap replacements Home Bargains lasted years until replaced with LED.

Same with LED only one to fail was an expensive fluorescent tube replacement, non of the cheap ones have failed. And the G9 bulbs were bought with the fitting and again were expensive and these are the only bulbs where I have needed to fit a load capacitor. OK small problem with a few GU10 bulbs, but they were non dim-able so only to be expected, and swapping lamp to lamp cured problem.

In theory I would expect a problem with a small wattage single bulb, but with 5 bulbs in a lamp the amount if leakage from all 5 should have been enough to work an electronic switch without a neutral. The lamp in living room has 8 x candle bulbs 5 watt each all non dimming and not a problem using same make and model of electronic switch.

It recommends minimum 5 watt, maximum 250 watt, and "NOT suitable for Flourescent, CFL or Non- Dimmable LED bulbs" the Philips Master 2.3 watt is the only bulb in the Light Compatibility chart I think [​IMG] This is the Philips Master which shines up only, [​IMG] This also Philips is more like the lamps already used, which gives an all round light output.

Sorry seems links don't work once posted, only show before posting, point is the master shines out of end, but most shine all around, so master is rather a poor option, and only bulb on list which is G9.