Faulty back 105 he

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Edward smith, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Edward smith

Edward smith New Member

Yesterday I had to call out a heating engineer as my boiler would not stay on.
    He looked at my boiler and a few calls to baxi support he told me it was either the electrode or the circuit board. As it was saturday he recommended buying both and returning the part that was unused.
    With a maximum cost £400 with installation.
    As it was freezing we agreed.
    He changed both parts but still no heating.
    A few more calls to baxi. And he checked the gas pressure.
    Reading came back as 24.2
    He said it should be 48 so now new gas part..
    And still no heating till next week.
    Should I pay for the parts that was not needed thanks for any comments

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Active Member

i wouldn't

3. masterdiy

masterdiy Active Member

E s, "As it was Saturday he recommended buying both and returning the part that was unused."
    There's your answer.

4. Edward smith

Edward smith New Member

I did notice he took the board he took out and kept it.

5. masterdiy

masterdiy Active Member

He should refit parts & return the new ones.
    Otherwise you will end up replacing every thing in the boiler & still may not work.
    He does sound like he's out of his depth here. Is he a proper heating engineer??

Quote "
    Should I pay for the parts that was not needed thanks for any comments" NO

6. Edward smith

Edward smith New Member

He seemed genuine had baxi logo on his jumper. Said he did his training with them..
    But I would have thought he would have done the gas test as a first test. Seeing that the fault light said gas failure or drain block

7. Blokes not a proper heating engineer.
    If he insists on his dumb "replace until it works" strategy rather than proper diagnosis and testing, then ONLY pay for the part which eventually remedied the fault. Makes me laugh, what other trade would you get away with this absolute nonsense fault finding.

8. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

If he was advised by Baxi to change those parts (I doubt it) then you’d probably take the hit.
    But if he’s just guessing (likely) then he should be trying to return them or he pays for them.

9. masterdiy

masterdiy Active Member

Motor Mechanics.

Problem is, if its an electrical item, they wont take them back, as they are now used.
    So, proper diagnostics is the only answer.
    Especially when he gets "Seeing that the fault light said gas failure or drain block"...Bit of a give away here???