faulty washing machine

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by fredbare, Nov 24, 2003.

1. fredbare

fredbare Member

I have a Servis washing machine that screeches when the pump is running (according to the tenant). Anyone any clues as to the cause?
    thanx

2. Markybob

Markybob New Member

Just a guess, but try checking the belt tension, could be slipping

3. fredbare

fredbare Member

thanks markybob - will look at that possibility
    fredbare

4. crisp

crisp Member

most pumps are powered by an electric motor direct and not belt driven . the noise could be just a worn pump or faulty bearing or pump may require cleaning

5. fredbare

fredbare Member

thanks for all the advice - I got a look in the back this week - nothing apparent...noise has stopped.... for now!!

fredbare

6. harry

harry Member

maybe the cat's got out.

7. Howie

Howie New Member

It's maybe the good old bra wire lodged in the pump.

8. Windy Miller

Windy Miller New Member

They have wires in bras? Blimey I never new they were electric!

9. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

We had a Servis washing machine a couple of years ago and it was a w*nker. I had trouble with the pump and when I stripped it down there was a coin jammed in it. There must be a design fault as usually coins etc will fall into the trap before getting stuck in the pump. The noise could have been some hardened detergent that finally got minced up and passed by.

The pump mechanism was very basic and it either works or it doesn't.

Incidentally this ***cker nearly killed me as I was distracted half way through the job by a Jehovah's Witness. When I returned I forgot that I turned on to test the pump and when I was putting the circlips back on I got a belt.

I always wondered if this was a holy message?

Anyway I hope these pearls of wisdom are of some use.

DWD.

10. clarkydot

clarkydot New Member

I think you're supposed to remove coins etc. from pockets b4 putting into machine. Screeching pump means faulty pump and can be replaced very cheaply. Should be able to locate one from any decent appliance retailer. Not Currys or Comet type though. Or look at
    http://www.masterpart.com/