Feed in Tariffs

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Harry Stottle, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Feed in tariffs are expected to cost the UK £14bn by 2023. It's wrong that people who are happy to deface their houses with ugly PV panels just to save a few pounds, should be subsidised by the rest of us.

2. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Good to see your impeccable logic still survives, Harry. Care to expand a little?

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

It's not so much the FIT, but the subsidies that are given for the purchase and installation of PV panels ETC, all this has done is increased the cost of panels and installation, with the additional burden of the Scheme membership that the installer must pay for. We can see now how the reduction of the FIT and subsidies have reduced panel costs, a self fit 4Kw kit on E Bay for £1700. Harry, I believe that FIT should be scrapped and a simple nett metering scheme should be introduced, no accreditation of installers, just the need for compliant gear and installation methods, building and BS 7671 regs approval.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

The electricity suppliers/retailers should be forced through law to pay you for what you produce at the same rate as they charge you for what you consume from them.
    That is the only model that works.
    Unfortunately it's the one that prevents a whole lot of grubby little middlemen getting rich quick, so the government will never cut off the grubby little hands that feed them.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

All in favour of every aspect of green energy.

If someone wants to use solar panels its their choice.

Got a huge wind turbine in the fields behind my house. Looks great and causes zero problems.

Got an air source heat pump on my industrial unit too. Had 12 years with no heating or cooling. Uses next to no power and is a great addition. Especially the cooling at the moment!

I do think Harry just cut and pastes his contributions to here off the Daily Mail comments section sometimes. Actually all the time.

6. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I'm guessing that 'arry and Rob don't have PVs?

I do - and they earn me around £1500 pa which is almost double my full energy bill. You can't see, but I have a lovely tingle running down my back from knowing that the u-s on here are helping to pay for it.

Harry, "£14bn by 2023" sounds like a great big number, but can you tell us how much it's actually costing each household today? Disappointingly little.

Oh I wish I was getting more money from the u-s... :rolleyes:

7. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

You bloody hippies, with your solar and wind and electric cars. None of that green energy for me. I like my energy from foreign dictatorships.

Every time I fill my car with fuel, it brings a smile to my face, knowing that I’m supporting a totalitarian regime that denied that right to drive to its womenfolk. Ah, sweet irony! It’s right up there between manganesey and cobalty.

8. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Pffft - the only wind I have is youknowwhat.

9. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

I’m all for green energy but do think Harry has a point that people can completely spoil the aesthetics of a road or street by erecting solar panels on their roofs without the need for any planning permission whereas doing anything to a say grade 2 listed building is a nightmare, or even adding a window/ door etc to a non-listed dwelling. All out of proportion.

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

My air source heat pump was installed courtesy of a EU legal ruling that meant British Gas had to provide a energy efficiency fund to aid small and micro-businesses.

Thats the kind of red tape and unelected bureacracy that drives Brexiteers round the bend.

11. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Details please :D

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

They were fined for some kind of irregularity over non refunding creditors of small businesses that had paid estimated bills and then gone bust.

They had to set up an energy efficiency fund to assist small and micro business's using the fine.

You could get up to £6,000 worth of energy efficency savings by applying.

Mostly apparently it was led lightbulbs, rockwool and draughtstripping letterboxes! I believe it was one measure per business.

I got turned down loads of times for spurious reasons, but kept going and annoying them until eventually they just wanted me off their backs. Rang every morning about 9.30 after the school run on the way into the unit for about 3 months. Spoke to a lady called Roisin every single day chasing it. I got the impression that possibly there was a "failed application" cost taken off the fine amount as some of the reasons for being turned down were ludicrous.

Business too big.

Business too small.

Location of unit.

Ownership or not of unit etc etc.

Eventually got the application approved about an hour before the scheme closed!

Then chased the whole way through the process.

When the bloke showed to survey he wanted to put a few lightbulbs in my industrial unit.

I had checked the small print and it was down to the business holder to choose from a range of options.

Anything suitable was allowed.

I told him I wanted an air source heat pump with air con and heating. Full installation.

The chap almost fell over.

He surveyed, agreed it was a suitable option.

As he was driving off I rang his office to "see if the report was ready" . Two hours later I had the emailed report. Fwded it to British Gas. Then chased approval, then chased purchase order, then chased installation date etc etc.

It took a lot of hassle but eventually a firm from Nottingham showed up and put a full Daikin system in for me. Cost me nothing but the phonecalls and it is mine to take with me if I leave.

A lot of hassle but well worth it. Heating in winter, cooling in summer. And pretty much zero increase in bills.

Will get some photos of it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Allsorts likes this.
  13. You either need to go to specsavers or see a shrink,anyone who says they look great has some sort of problem.

14. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I think they look majestic.

Although, yes, I do have many sorts of problems.

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  15. rogerk101

I love the look of wind turbines!
    Not only are they extremely pleasing to my eyes, but they're a heck of a lot better looking than a traditional fossil-fuel burning powerstation with its tall chimneys belching out smoke and its cooling towers throwing away heat that could and should be used to heat nearby homes.

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Or perhaps an independent view of what exactly is attractive in a rural setting.

I can understand when people object to a traditional famous view being altered by one.

But for "normal" countryside. All for it.

Its a striking structure but I like them them. The one behind our house you can walk right up to and sit on the steps.

Its part of life. Got to do something to reverse the worlds resources getting depleted.

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Spot on Roger.

The huge ones are quite magnificent.

Have you walked up to one and stood below the blades on a windy day.

Quite awe inspiring.

18. Tommy r

Tommy r New Member

Apparently, when manufacturing, materials, resources etc are taken into consideration, these wind turbines aint actually saving anything ( certainly not the planet )

Isitreally likes this.
  19. rogerk101

I guess if Fox News says so, it must be true!

20. Tommy r

Tommy r New Member

What's Fox News ?