Feedback on boiler swap setup?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Planet Niton, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Planet Niton

Planet Niton Member

I'm planning to replace 19 year old open-vented rear flue Potterton Flamingo 2 with something more efficient and reliable. Challenge is that curretly boiler is in corner of kitchen, floor-standing, under worktop (outside wall, no probs for flue and condensate drain). Not keen on relocating boiler as it would mean losing a cupboard and re-tiling wall / disruption etc.

Space is h850 x w520 x d380

Set-up is 2-bed house with 1 bathroom - 5 rads. I prefer current open-vented system to combi. Corgi plumber has recommended Glow worm FLexicom 15HX as this can be mounted on the wall in the space where Potterton floor-standing boiler is.

Please could you let me have any thoughts / suggestions on this proposed set-up?

Many thanks in advance! :)

2. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

worcester do floor mounted boilers , not sure of the size though, might be worth a look

3. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

4. Planet Niton

Planet Niton Member

Thanks for the replies; Greenstar FS boiler has to have 2 foot of space above it when installing, so would mean taking out worktop, gas hob etc

The Vokera option is not one I've heard of - anymore feedback on their reliability?

If the only options for good reliable boiler mean ripping out worktops etc, then that is an option - obviously less attractive!

Just going to apply online for scrappage voucher - will let you know how this goes!

5. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

The Vokera can be fitted with a rear flue(smaller models), piped from the top or bottom & is a Band A condensing boiler. Ideal for replacing wall mounted BF open vented boilers, Apollo, Elan etc, etc.