Fence Blown - Advise needed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DanielQ, Jan 14, 2020.

  1. DanielQ

    DanielQ Member

    The only side of the fence that I didn't replace this year was blown down last night. It is a 6ft fence at the top of a hill, the bottom of the posts were rotten.

    If I use 9ft concrete posts and 150mm concrete baseboards, do I have to use fence panels? They don't look strong enough to handle heavy winds with posts 1800mms apart. I'm wondering if I can buy heavy-duty panels or would you build your own?

    I don't want hit and miss for privacy reasons.
  2. KIAB

    KIAB Super Member

    I would use recessed fence posts which take up to a 100mm wide square or bevelled cross rails.

  3. carl24bpool

    carl24bpool Active Member

    base panels are 300mm, not 150 usually.

    I would either use base panels all the way up or buy some vertical boarded panels from a decent fence manufacturer and ask them to put four or five cross braces instead of the usual three. That would be plenty strong enough.
  4. carl24bpool

    carl24bpool Active Member

    Or as KIAB has said use "bolt to" posts and fit them closer together.
  5. KIAB

    KIAB Super Member

    Put recessed posts at 6' spacing,instead of 8' or so, will strength fence.

    But, be warned, a 2.5 mtr recessed post weighs about 75kg, & a 3mtr recessed post about 100kg,so not a one man job.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  6. DanielQ

    DanielQ Member

    Half of the long fence in the left was blown down last night.

    The back fence is new. I would like something with concrete post that looks similar.

    What about the slotted fence posts with 150mm gravel boards?

    Please see the old photo attached.

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  7. DanielQ

    DanielQ Member

    Can you recommend a decent supplier of vertical fence panel? I don't mind to pay more if it will last longer.
  8. jackelliott07

    jackelliott07 Active Member

    It might sound silly, but just go and visit your local suppliers and physically see how sturdy they are. I'm sure most local places will be willing to strengthen/modify for you (for a cost obviously)
  9. Jitender

    Jitender Screwfix Select

    Snow :):)
  10. Jitender

    Jitender Screwfix Select

    There are stronger fence panels available. They are called sturdy featgervedge panels.

    The lighter duty ones callec lap panels.

    Timber post will eventually rot as you have found out. Could use a godfather for each post.

    Whetwr you decide to use slotted or recessed piosts.

    Do use concrete gravel boards (i think you have callwd then baseboards). There wont be anywhere to slot them if you use the recessed posts. So will sit at rhe front.
  11. carl24bpool

    carl24bpool Active Member

    Speak to local fencing contractors.

    My neighbour is a fencer and he makes his own panels. You just need a guy that can make the panels for you. Its straight forward as the rails and vertical boards are supplied cut to size from any decent timber supplier. You could just buy a load of rails and boards and make thenm yourself. Just be sure to make sure they are square before you nail them up and use annular nails so they dont fall apart.
  12. KIAB

    KIAB Super Member

    You can get gravel boards for recessessed post that are slotted at the ends.

    Jitender likes this.

Share This Page