Fence help

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Christopher Bruce, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Christopher Bruce

Christopher Bruce New Member

Hi everyone!

I’m looking to do something similar to this with my fence. I’ve priced up roof battens and cedar as well and ooft, so expensive!

Does anyone have any other ideas? Bit stuck for some myself.

thanks

Attached Files:

2. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Ugh. Not my cup of tea at all. Still, if you want to use roof battens, as an example I bought some a fortnight ago for 92p/m (Travis Perkins 233475). You can get cheaper battens, but they will likely not be very dimensionally accurate, and will be crp domestically produced stuff (I know, I bought some of those last year).

EDIT: Prices for 25 x 50mm roof battens.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Free Pallet wood.....timber prices have increased circa 40%.

Cedar is really the way to go and will last.

4. Christopher Bruce

Ah ok, isn’t cedar mega expensive though?

5. Christopher Bruce

How did you get them so cheap? 1.40 / m here is the cheapest I’ve found (in Aberdeen)

6. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

That'll be fun to paint/varnish/treat without affecting your neighbours side!

7. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Screwfix Select

If its on his side and not the actual boundary, probably a non issue. If its his fence and the only fence, its his to treat as he desires, and for his neighbours to request his permission to touch from the other side.

8. Christopher Bruce

Yeah it won’t affect the neighbours as they have their own fence.

Abbadon2001 likes this.
  9. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Screwfix Select

If you are going to be there a long time, best invest in cedar - it will look good a long time, and when you tart it up, it'll come back to its original colour and appearance very easily with a touch of oil or similar.

10. Christopher Bruce

Ok I’ll look into it, thanks!

11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Cedar! It won't need treating either because it weathers to a lovely silver/grey colour but you do need stainless fixings.

I would do things slightly differently form the image you posted.
    1) I would stagger the joints across different posts. That might mean more posts or longer slats (to reach across more that one post) but it will improve the look and be stronger.
    2) Where the step is, I would have started the slats to completely cover the post rather than have half a post showing.

Just my opinion of course

12. Christopher Bruce

That’s a good idea, thanks! Going to look into cedar but my only worry is the cost.

13. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I have recently removed cedar shingles from a roof and replaced them. Only because the original install started to fail about 15 years back because of steel nails (not me). The shingles were about still OK, a few were get worn, but no rot. They had been exposed to sun, rain, snow, hot, cold ... for probably 40 years and never treated.

Contact SILVA Timber - Liverpool is their head office and see what they will quote you.

Abbadon2001 likes this.
  14. Christopher Bruce

Great, I’ll give them a shout. Thanks!

15. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

It may cost, but it should last. I have a wall of the house partially cedar clad - after 12 years, a little grey but still fine.

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Also worth looking at ‘larch slats’

Not cheap but what timber is ?? But cheaper than Cedar - although agree, Red Cedar is beautiful once oiled

Shop around as ever, deals on bundles of larch slats, can leave untreated as it has natural rot / insect / hardiness or treat it to keep looking like new

Other softwood such as Redwood is a possibility, spruce, etc, buy as floorboard type planks for best economy and cut down on a table saw

Obviously softwood will need treating initially and every ‘so many’ years going forward

17. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Like these sort of fences but prefer to see the 'posts' every 6 foot or so to break it up a bit.
    Just my opinion.

Christopher Bruce likes this.
  18. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

I phoned around for prices. Then I asked again, nicely, to see who would do me what. If you do this, you will ask "What was the cheapest price?". I normally say "I can't tell you that!" and see what price they will give.

Edit: TP's Inverurie branch has the same "retail price" as mine, which is a long way away. I don'r recomment TP, it's just where I happened to get the best quote (25 x 50 x 5400 battens, collected).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  19. Christopher Bruce

Ok I’ll give that a try, thank you!

20. Christopher Bruce

I’ll have a look into these, thank you!