Fence post holes depth

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Tipee93, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Tipee93

Tipee93 New Member

I’m gonna erecting a fence with 6ft panels and 1/2 foot gravel boards. What size post and whole depth should I be using?

( I was thinking 9ft post and dig 2 and a half foot deep to match the fence height. ). Please let me
    Know if that’s correct/ deep
    Enough. Thanks in advance

2. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

I’m not an expert, but when I asked a local fencing lad about this when I was going to do my own, he recommended 4x4 posts down 600mm think I was roughly 2 1/2 bags post Crete per hole but it was 3 years ago.

3. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Always 4” post. 3” looks cr@p. 600mm down. Allow 1.5-2 bags of postfix per hole. Depends how neatly you can dig. If you have loads to do then consider hiring or buying a petrol auger. Super-quick and makes a smaller hole.

3m posts always. A 2.7m will be fine but with a longer one you spend less time messing around with perfecting the hole depth. Make it 600mm minimum, drop it in. Do them all and then trim them all 30mm above the top of the panel (or the height of the higher panel if they’re staggered)

Don’t forget your post caps. Also fit Postsaver sleeves on every post. Cheap insurance against rot.

Welshyyyyy likes this.
  4. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Why not use concrete posts?

5. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Bit like asking why do they still sell timber posts I suppose. From the OP’s initial question it’s a DIY job. Concrete posts are heavier, more difficult to place and can’t be cut down (well they can but nowhere near as easily and you can’t cut the tops as they are a finished shape, so you still need to get your top positions dead on).

Personally I think a timber post looks better on a timber fence but there is absolutely nothing wrong with concrete. They’ll last pretty much forever, though properly prepared you should get 20 years or more out of timber.

Welshyyyyy likes this.