Fence post supports moved after being concreted in

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by risenshine, Aug 5, 2022.

1. risenshine

risenshine New Member

Hi Everyone

I concreted in some fence post supports, it was all level at the time, went to put in the fence post and the support has moved up by over an inch after drying. Used a 5:1 mix and left for 24 hours before touching.

Not sure what happened and if anyone can enlighten me before I redo so as not to make the same mistake again!

Any advice is much appreciated
    R.S

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

5:1, sand and cement? Or 5 shovels of all in ballast to one cement?

3. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Very difficult to know without being there. Concrete actually contracts slightly as it dries. Are they all out by exactly the same amount? Id be looking for another issue. Something stupid like measuring off the wrong datum if the ‘mistake’ is consistent on all posts.

4. risenshine

risenshine New Member

Ballast to cement, Just the one post as the rest had postcrete used but didn't want to buy anymore postCrete and I had the ballast and cement to hand

5. Truckcab79

I would suspect an error on your part. Annoying but I cant think of anything you could have done wrong with the concrete itself that would allow it to heave up.

6. risenshine

risenshine New Member

yep, am trying to figure out what I could have done wrong, will redo and put a weight on it and hope it doesn't rise again

7. Truckcab79

Timber or concrete? If it’s timber and it’s otherwise straight and true just trim it back. Not so easy with concrete.

But yea, do it again. It’ll only annoy you every time you see it otherwise.

risenshine likes this.
  8. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Not helpful now I know but did you use any sort of “bracing” to prevent movement whilst it’s all setting?

risenshine likes this.
  9. risenshine

risenshine New Member

Didn't think to as was only the supports cemented in, which are not very tall did not put the whole post in the ground, live and learn I guess, I will dig out and start again! Thanks for all you help :)

10. Truckcab79

I nearly asked same but if it’s moved upward no bracing could have prevented it. Very odd.