Fencing options in rented house

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Bozotheclown, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Bozotheclown

Bozotheclown New Member

Hello everyone,

I've been going round in circles trying to find a solution to my current dilemma. I fear that it's an impossible task but thought I'd try and seek some of your expertise before giving up!

We live in a rented house with a smallish patio garden out the back for our sole use. I want to have a fence that goes round the perimeter of our garden that we can attach cat proofing to the top of to be good neighbours and keep our cats from going into our neighbour's gardens and to keep the cats safe in our garden.

The problem I have is that the current fence doesn't go all the way round, so we can't just attach the angled fence tops. The patio is made of old, basic concrete patio slabs, alongside a wooden fence in places and a wire fence in other places.

Also, we definitely cannot do any drilling into the building at all.

So, I'm trying to see if there's a way to install a study, windproof fence without gaps at the bottom. It would be less that 8ft high of course. For example:

- Heavy but temporary weighted slabs/stones at the bottom to hold a second, inner fence all the way round?
    - A catio enclosure which includes flooring/decking
    - temporary patio stones/cover with fence fitted on these, so when we leave the underneath ones are untouched.

I hope I've explained this ok - apologies if my ramblings are unclear. Any advice would be really really appreciated.

Thanks very much everyone

2. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

I think a catio will work best. As it's self supporting you'll avoid digging and posts etc. I never
    thought much of posts held up by slabs/ water containers etc etc.

Bozotheclown likes this.
  3. Bozotheclown

Bozotheclown New Member

Thank you, I think you're probably right. I think the other options might be unstable :( Would you say that that the frame needs in-built flooring to be self-supporting? I'm hoping to find a frame that incorporates flooring/decking but haven't seen any as yet. Thanks again!

4. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

i think inbuilt flooring would give hygiene problems. I can't see a catio taking off
    in high wind ( famous last words ) , as they have little wind resistance.
    I'd be minded to make it myself, 2 x 2 and sheets of cat friendly mesh
    made to suit your garden situation. I see some metal framed catio on
    Amazon too.

Bozotheclown likes this.
  5. Bozotheclown

Bozotheclown New Member

That's a good point! I might look into trying it myself then. Thanks again :)

chillimonster likes this.