Fern products

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Rocker, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Rocker

Rocker New Member

I have, up till now tended to purchase quality power tools such as De Walt and Metabo. Seeing the Fern range of tools in the SF mag I wondered how good they are given the very low prices quoted. Can anybody substantiate from experience that these products are genuinely good value for money and not prone to fail early in their life?

2. Pete

Pete New Member

The good thing about the Ferm products is that they have a three-year warranty - the first year of which is with Screwfix, and if it goes wrong then Screwfix will collect and replace for free.

I have used Ferm products, and they seem to be very reliable FOR THE PRICE. If you are a professional tradesman that uses his tools every day, you are probably making the right choice by choosing a brand name like Dewalt - but if you are a keen DIYer, I see no need for you to use those tools as Ferm would do the job.

I have a 24v Combi Drill from Ferm and it still works fine - I can't say I use it a lot, but it has had some good use, as I erected a large metal fence with it and it's still working. The most common failure of the cordless Ferm tools however is the batteries, but if you call Screwfix then they will send you a new drill if the batteries or charger fail!

3. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Ferm are a good product then you must consider when buying tools of any kind is you get what you pay for. If you pay more you rightfully expect more but saying this I have a Ferm cordless and it has had extensive use over the last three years and still going. It's not in the front line of my tool range and so doesnt get the (ab)use as others but nonetheless it is a good drill and arguably disposable. It will do everything you could expect of a cordless and has a three year warranty. If you evaluated the warranty alone that is only £20 a year but you get the drill as well for that. Dont expect too much when you dont pay too much.
    PS I think they have reduced in price since I bought mine soit's even cheaper now.

4. Ilfordjedi

Ilfordjedi New Member

I very recently bought a Ferm rotary hammer for some work I had to do in the garden. Best £30 I've ever spent. Will be buying their 10 inch compound mitre saw when I get paid this month.

5. crispy

crispy New Member

Have a look at the 'faulty goods' section on this BB re Ferm all-purpose saws.

Mind you, the third one hasn't broken yet ....

6. CDplayer

CDplayer New Member

I've bought a number of Ferm products over the last couple of years for keen amateur use and not had one break on me yet. You have to be gentle with them and treat them with respect, but you probably should treat yr tools like that anyway. One thing I have noticed is that the tool is often out of adjustment on receipt (eg. band saw, table saw) and you need to set it up carefully at the start, but apart from that, they're great.

The baby router (13455), in particular, is a real little cracker for amateur use, unbelievable for only 24 quid. You won't do panel raising with it, but it's fine for most jobs, taking heavy cuts in two or three passes. The motor detaches from the frame as well, so you can make up your own cutting jigs. The only criticism I have is that the plunge depth is a little restricted.

Other tools I've had good experience with include:
    4 1/4" grinder (17899)
    Table saw (19519)
    Band saw (18772)
    Grinder/linisher (13193)
    SDS drill 240V (94802)

I was only disappointed with the Planer(19156). It will hack wood shavings off well enough, but the plate alignment is not good enough for accurate work. But again, look at the price.

On balance, I would say that Ferm products do what they say on the box, offer a cheap way to check out whether you will use a particular type of tool and are capable of producing good work. By the time you've worn one out or bent it, you will know whether you want to shell out to replace it or to buy better quality.

7. Darth Calis

Darth Calis New Member

I have to say that I'm not as impressed as everyone else. I know that the prices are increadibly cheap, and I can't speak for all the Ferm tools, but my experience has not been good.

One of my early purchases from Screwfix was a whole bunch of Ferm stuff. I bought a planer, sander, jigsaw, circular saw, router, SDS drill, and the £200 metal workbench. I spent a day using the SDS drill. About halfway through the second day, the chuck fell off. It appeared to have unscrewed itself, but wouldn't screw back in so I sent it back.

Then I spent a whole day putting the workbench together. The second day the switch that activates the electricity stopped working. This time I sent the whole lot back. That was last year.

A couple of weeks ago I thought I'd chance the SDS drill again. The second time I used it (not even the second day this time!) the motor packed up.

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I think the moral of this story is that there is a reason that a Makita SDS drill costs £130 and a Ferm SDS drill costs £30.

8. Darth Calis

Darth Calis New Member

One thing I should add further to my last post was that I did buy the Ferm 10" Compound Mitre saw for about £50 and that works great. Got a lot of use out of it and it's still going. The only thing wrong is that it's miscalibrated slightly so it tends to be off by 1mm, but for £50 I can compensate!

I wish my luck had been better with their other tools.

9. bigron

bigron New Member

I had a Fern jig saw which had a mechanical failure after a few weeks. Screwfix replaced it very quickly and without a fuss. The second one has been in regular use for 2 years, no problem. We also have a Fern circular saw which has proved to be very reliable.
    Hell, they're so cheap as to be almost disposable anyway!

10. MrChef

MrChef New Member

I have the Ferm biscuit jointer which works perfectly.

My tool collection started off with the budget range ie Ferm, Powerdevil and Clarke.

I am gradually upgrading them as money permits to more superior brands. An observation when comparing is that the budget tools do / did a fine job however if you need a high level of precision then the higher quality tools are best.

I have a Power Devil Circular saw which I am assuming is the same as Ferm. I have purchased a high quality blade and it gives me fantastic cuts. The same with my PD router. Buy high quality bits and it does a good job.

My 10p worth

11. sawdust

sawdust New Member

Hi all,( my first posting ).
    I wanted to kit-out my new workshop i've made at home, and thought i'd give Ferm a try 'so got a table saw, scroll saw and 16mm pillar drill, which all seem fine,having used them for some months now.

regards, sawdust.

12. whitehoo

whitehoo New Member

I purchased the Ferm radial tile saw and have found it to be on the whole a good purchase for the price £129.99. The problem I always find with this and similar products eg saw tables, are the mitre/rip fences etc are poor and tend to move under pressure. For the money I can compensate and use clamps though

13. steveb

steveb New Member

I have to agree with Darth - Ferm products are absolutely ****. I bought a jetwash which didn't have a brush in the box. I recently bought a tile cutter - didn't know it was Ferm otherwise I'd have passed by it. The unit was delivered with an off-set motor - chassis was warped as a result of a drop. Absolutely no quality control on Ferm products as they leave the factory - so don't buy them unles you want hours of grief. I still buy tools from Screwfix - but it's DeWaltz or nothing from now on. Let's face it you spend £1000s on DIY - the least you can do is use decent products - and crewfix is a great source for DeWaltz.

14. jc

jc New Member

Hi,
    Agree the £24 router from Ferm is a good buy. Not so sure about the sabre saw.

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago. It comes with a spare blade clamp. Just as well as the first one broke within about five minutes of starting to use it :(

15. DIYCHIEF

DIYCHIEF New Member

I AM CONSIDERING PURCHASING THE FERN 32.4V Combi Drill.
    THEY ONLY OFFER THE ONE BATTERY WITH IT - AND ITS SELLING AT £49.99
    THEY HAVE ALSO THE 24V WHICH IS PRICED AT £49.99, BUT WITH 2 BATTERIES.
    THE BATTERY INDIVIDUALLY PURCHASED COSTS £29.99
    YET HERE YOU GET 2 WITH A DRILL FOR UNDER £50
    DON'T MAKE SENSE
    WHICH ONE SHOULD I GO FOR.

16. DIYCHIEF

DIYCHIEF New Member

MY FRIEND LAST YEAR BOUGHT A 24V FERN WITH 2 BATTERIES FOR £80
    IF I PURCHASED THE 32.4V DRILL, WOULD I BE ABLE TO USE THE 24V FERN DRILL BATTERY TO CHARGE IT UP