Festool Extractor

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Lijong Tao, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Looking for an extractor for sanding, routing and general woodworking extraction. I notice on the Festool advert it says
    "On-site extraction for electric power tools for minor or brief sanding, routing, sawing and drilling work"

Does this mean it can only be used for short periods connected to a sander or such like?

I'm a little confused as to it's overall use if it can't be for extended periods.

Thanks

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Means don't use for say 30mins continuously because it could overheat.
    You can buy vents for hose to allow air to flow helping as some tools restrict the air flow through vacuum but with festool you can adjust power of suction with some vacs designed for dust sanding.

Other way for workshop is to buy a shop vac with power takeoff then make or buy a cyclone.
    Cyclone works great with wood cutting chips and dust.

Most cheap shop vacs are noisy and the power takeoff won't have the watts or the speed of a festool. Also fine sanding dust like plaster can sometimes cause problems so the self clean vacuums are better. Depends what you want it for. Festool make some nice smaller vacs that will work for you and can sand dust on smaller jobs.

3. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Thanks, Wayners. I was considering it as I wanted to use it mobile, also at home I haven't the space for a dedicated shop vac system. 30 mins isn't that long if there's a lot to sand. Is there a model you#d recommend for mobile use, mainly for using with a sander but for clean-up too?

4. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

That sounds like a spec for the CTL-SYS - a tiny 5-litre machine. I have a CTL26 and the CT-VA-20 cyclone separator. It runs 4-6 hours a day virtually nonstop. Zero issues.

If your budget is more restricted, I’d strongly recommend the Nilfisk Aero 26-21 from our hosts. Brilliant vfm, auto power tool start, super reliable. My #1 before I went down the grey and green rabbit hole.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

I have a £400 budget but obv don't need to spend all that. Would the Nilfisk fit my Makita sander and run for some time, say perhaps 90 mins before a break? How does the Nilfisk fit to power tools? I ask because I have an old Vax vacuum cleaner and it is used solely to clean up after woodworking but despite buying the fittings online that stated they'd fit on the Vax and Makita etc, none of them did, so I wonder how they fit the various sized outlets on sanders, routers, etc.... Thank you

6. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

7. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

On balance, I think that the Festool MIDI is probably the way to go. Here's why;

1 The motor speed is variable and can be turned right down for sanding. This means less clogging of your bag and filter, along with reduced stress on the motor.
    2 A lot of thought has gone into the design of these machines (e.g. they have an opening compartment on top where you can store the hose).
    3 They are whisper-quiet compared to almost everything else out there.
    4 The new-generation Festool hoses are stellar. They're made from rubber instead of rigid plastic, so are hugely flexible and easy to work with.
    5 Festool's resale value is very substantial. If you later decide to upgrade to something bigger, you'll get back a fair chunk of what you paid for it.

Although I have a CTL26 as mentioned above, I know a few guys who run MIDI's and they also get used all day, every day with no overheating issues. I really have no idea why Festool describe this machine as being only suitable for 'brief and minor' applications. It just isn't.

Festool machines (depending on their size) come with either 27mm or 36mm hoses - with the MIDI having a 27mm. This is different to the nozzle size used by Makita (I have an RP1100C quarter-inch router, a 9403 belt sander and a PJ7000 biscuit jointer, the vacuum nozzles are the same on all three machines) - so you'll need this adaptor;

IMG_0703.jpg

It's a Nilfisk product - part no. 107401562. It comes with a variable suction gadget for a Nilfisk machine, so you just take off the rubber sleeve adaptor as pictured above. It's available here;

https://northwestpowerwashers.co.uk/product/nilfisk-aero-26-tool-adapter-with-regulation-107409977/

Don't worry that the part no. on the link is different - you're just going to nick the rubber bit off the end.

The Festool machines don't come with any cleaning accessories, so to use it as a shop vac, you'll also need a set of tubes, floor nozzles etc. Festool part number 203428;

https://www.kelvinpowertools.com/fe...or-dust-extractors-27/36mm-hose-c-262-p-11758

Hope that helps.

Lijong Tao and WillyEckerslike like this.
  8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I use an M-class Midi with a separator as above for hours on end without issue.

I can also echo the recommendation by @woodbutcherbower for the Nilfisk. It's a fraction of the cost but performs well. It's also strikingly similar to the high end offerings from Mirka, Makita and Milwaukee as well so I suspect there's a badging process going on.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Lijong Tao likes this.
  9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Lijong Tao likes this.
  10. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

That's awesome guys. I really do appreciate it. Noise is vitally important to me, especially where I will be working for the foreseeable. Once again thanks for taking the time, providing the links and for your own input. Much obliged