Festool plunge saw guide

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by neibick76, Nov 2, 2016.

1. neibick76

neibick76 Member

Just bought a new saw and the guide. question what is the clear plastic strip on the guide. when i come to use the saw it will cut this off ?

2. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

It's the splinter guard, stops tear out on the face side, before using the saw properly just set the depth down to a few mm and run along the track. This will cut off some of the guard but not all of it and then this gives you a precise reference edge to use when you come to use the saw properly ie: you will line up the edge of the strip to your marks .

tore81 likes this.
  3. neibick76

neibick76 Member

Thanks for that. looking forward to using it. next month its a festool router. needs must i guess

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The thin plastic strip gets trimmed to your specific saw on the first use.

If you are not in a hurry to buy the router (1400 ?) hang on for a while because Festool have a habit of sending out vouchers to owners and running promotions with specific suppliers.

Strangely Amazon often has deals on Festool accessories - I picked up the track saw accessories kit ( protractor, clamps, spare guide rail strip etc.) for £86 when most trade suppliers were £110

5. neibick76

neibick76 Member

Thanks for the heads up on that i will hold of for a while as see if anything comes up

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You just missed the £50 off a cleaner offer. However, the dreaded "black friday" will be upon us soon and no doubt there will be some offers on then

tore81 and KIAB like this.
  7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I'll be keeping an eye out. Festool is the nuts.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The last time I made a major Festool purchase I got a voucher for money off my next purchase.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Seen this http://toolguyd.com/festool-pro-5-ltd-sander-deal/

Only available in the US. $99 ETS125 sander with a $50 voucher off your next purchase ......

10. neibick76

neibick76 Member

Have you read about it its uncertain that they might halt sale.of it. Ppl dont even know when they will recive it after the first batch is sold out

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Festool work very much like a drugs pusher - get people hooked, give them a deal on the second then see the money roll in as people get addicted

chippie244, Joe95 and neibick76 like this.
  12. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

I love Festool as much as the next guy but I still want the best tool for the job. Needed a laminate trimmer for small jobs and cutting in hinges etc. and the Dewalt seemed the best by far if you need something with good visibility when doing freehand stuff. Been very impressed with the purchase so far.

neibick76 likes this.
  13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I bought a laminate trimmer off eBay, brand new it was £32, it has easier adjustment and better lock off than the Makita and Bosch ones at work and at much less than a third of the price.

neibick76 likes this.