festool which one / type?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by J d, Mar 23, 2020.

1. J d

J d Member

hello,

i'm going to atempt decorating a few rooms in my house due to a few bad jobs in the past and i've been let down twice already this year. Now with this virus kicking about, i think i'll stay home and have a stab at it myself as i've just lost my job and looks like im going to be home and stuck in for 2020

i was thinking about picking up a second hand festool dust extracor? aslong as its 240 and working is that all i really need to know?

Also, ill need some sort of sanding atatchment, is this the best option for walls and ceiling?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/festool-575072-150mm-electric-random-orbit-sander-240v/4692x

2. J d

J d Member

what grade / grit will i need to get my walls smooth after previous layers of paint have left the walls looking orange peel.

thanks for your assistance people

3. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Would be far more economical to line the walls with a high end lining wall covering a good one would be WallRock fibreliner plus 180 google it.

J d and Jord86 like this.
  4. Jitender

Jitender Well-Known Member

Thats a lot of money for a sander.

Have used Festool.

But would go for a Bosch or Makita or Metabo sander.

Maybe 125mm random and then a detail one to get into corners.

J d likes this.
  5. wiggy

wiggy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy festool anything for diy.

J d likes this.
  6. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

A budget random orbital sander and a Henry hoover would be the absolute most I’d spend on this situation. If the walls are that bad either line them as per Astra or save the money you’d send on tools and have them skimmed. Or get some exercise and sand it by hand.

J d likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Bosch Random Orbital Sander GEX150 connected up to my Nilfisk GM80 via 3metre hose cone attachment, already had the Nilfisk and the sander, ignoring the cost of the vacuum the Bosch was £149:00 and hose kit circa £30:00 so a big saving on what you intend to spend baring in mind that mine was used one hell of a lot every week.

J d likes this.
  8. J d

J d Member

firstly, i would like to thank everyone for there input.

I've gone against pretty much everyones advice! Ive took delivery of a used festool midi extractor. My thinking was, even once i'm done with it, its still worth pretty much what i paid for it.

Could anyone tell me what the difference between the two below is? I know some sanders just spin in a circle and some spin in a circle and sort of move a little in a different direction to the circular motion.

eccentric sander ETS 125 and Geared eccentric sander ROTEX RO ETS

thanks people

9. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

I don't use festool vac that much as to big to cart around for some Jobs. I have festool sanders though. I'd buy cheaper vac with power takeoff and hang on for 20% off eBay at ffx to buy festool kit. Nilfisk vac is same guts as mirka vac.. That's a good option as a start. Depends what you are sanding to which is best first sander.

10. J d

J d Member

I've already taken delivery of a festool vac now. I'll be sending walls and ceiling, just flattening old paint. Cheers

11. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Which vac? Next get the ETS 150/5.....5mm orbit not the 3mm version for cars. You will need the mirka pad saver 54 hole not the 57 hole..I can get part number, as only festool discs will stick. With the correct pad saver all the velcro discs stick fine to festool