Filler advice for 2mm gap between worktop and glass splashback please

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Heather Jackson, May 22, 2020.

1. Heather Jackson

Heather Jackson New Member

Hi.

I am new to this forum and a baby diyer so please be kind.

I have just installed a blue glass splashback behind hob, over a wood effect laminate worktop.

I have stuck it and sealed it all around with clear Rapidgrab splashback & tile adhesive. It looks fine except at the bottom where it meets the worktop.

It's too shiny and when standing at the hob looking down the light shines through.

I want to put something of the 'rustic oak' colour there instead.

I've thought about using
    1. colorfill
    2. Acrylic flooring sealant in light brown or
    3. Beige sanitary sealant

Your advice and ideas would be welcome.

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I've used Screwfix's Oak Flooring mastic in situations like that before with good effect. It's not a silicone, and not a decorator's caulk ... more of a frame sealer, so it's not glossy, doesn't shrink back by much, but stays flexible more or less indefinitely.

Heather Jackson likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Very nice. Personally I'd use clear silicone, I think the oak effect would look awful and stick out like a sore thumb, but that's me. Whatever colour you opt for, I'd use silicone or frame sealant to finish it off.

Hfs and Heather Jackson like this.
  4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I'm not sure that sanitary sealant is appropriate for food preparation areas so worth checking the MSDS for the products you are considering.

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Just clear silicone will be fine Willy, let's face it, if someone drops a bit of fried bacon behind the hob it's only going to be there a couple of seconds..................hardly a major culinary fo par or a major health hazzard :D:D

6. Heather Jackson

Thank you Rogerk101. I was hoping someone had used the flooring sealant as that is my preferred choice. I think it will blend with the worktop best.

7. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Active Member

pump some clear silicon out mix with blue paint put back into tube and silicon

WillyEckerslike and Jord86 like this.
  8. Heather Jackson

Thanks for your reply.
    I have already used clear sealant but it doesn't look right at the bottom.

9. Heather Jackson

Thanks ginger tuffs. That's an interesting option. I never thought of trying that. I might give it a go on a practice piece and see how it looks.

10. ginger tuffs

ive use the paint and silicon trick many times it works well

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I like that, class idea, I'm definitely going to give that a try. :)

12. ginger tuffs

we use to go around country removing door heads in iceland stores to get fridges out and in we at to supply new doors 2200 high so we would after lift transom up leaving holes in frame so we mixed paint and silicon to fill holes job was a good one

13. ginger tuffs

did you try the silicon trick

14. Heather Jackson

Hi Ginger tuffs.
    Sorry for delay.
    I've struggled to match the blue of the splashback. It's a sort of smokey cornflower blue. But, thanks to your suggestion I did a bit more research and I've found a company that makes kitchen (food-friendly) compatible coloured silicone in RAL colours.
    I've tried blue and a light brown (chĂȘne) against an off cut of kitchen worktop and bits of tile that i've painted in blue just for an idea. I have to say, the brown worked best for me as it blends in with worktop such that it's almost invisible unless I really stare at it!
    So, after much-a-to-do I've made a decision and will give that a go! Who knew this little job would end up being so complicated!
    Thank you so much for your input. I learned a new diy trick that I never knew could be done!
    Kind regards,
    Heather

15. ginger tuffs

i hope you get sorted its yourself that keeps looking at it