Filler for red house bricks

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DIYDave., Jun 20, 2015.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all;
    Just been removing trellis and green plant wire from a red brick wall, now left with loads of screw holes in the bricks, nothing major, red rawlplug size

I realise that there's red bricks and red bricks re colour wise, these are deep red, smooth and almost a little shiny (didn't take a photo and at mother in laws gaff)

Unfortunately I think only 3 out of about 50 holes are in the mortar lines, so looking for a red filler to use as obviously usual white filler is going to stand out horribly

Any products available for this or use a powdered filler and powdered cement dye maybe ?

Thanks for any input, enjoy the w/ end

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yo could try a coloured grout from Mapei.

Or use exterior white filler mixed with red coloured dye to match the colour of the brickwork.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If you have some spare brick you could buy a diamond core drill bit and make plugs to fill in the gap, maybe 7/8mm drill. These drill are designed for drilling in porcelain, so should make light work of soft brick, unless they are engineering bricks.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Another option is to find a piece of the old brick and hammer it down to a fine powder, then use some kind of glue, not sure which one though, one that shouldn't affect the colour and use this mix as a filler. Cannot get a better match than using the existing bricks.

5. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

Hi there! What I do is get a spare brick, drill it a number of times to obtain the dust and mix it with cement powder as you would ordinary mortar. You can also use epoxy if you are in a hurry, the epxoy mortar ( checmical mortar ) is very good, but the colour may be off so try it out before using it.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Food Colouring Paste NOT liquid version, it's brilliant for colouring filler, colours can be mixed together to get thousands of shades.
    Use with Toupret Murex Exterior Filler, you can match any brickcolour,finish,etc.
    Should work with a mortar mix as well, but I haven't tried it.

Should find it in the high street, hobbycraft do a paste range.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3212...1=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Jitender likes this.
  7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks to the above for all the various solutions, some very ingenious, although possibly a little over engineered ?

From grinding and drilling bricks to obtain brick powder to cutting spare brick plugs........well I'm a reasonable son-in-law but not that devoted to be honest :( There's gotta be about 50 holes to fill

Food colouring paste sounds interesting Kiab, know the stuff you mean, super concentrated and used in cake decorating. I've got the Toupret, brilliant filler (in fact I recommended it on here some time ago) Obviously once set, it will be colour fast I take it ?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes.

I started off with the three primary colours, plus white & black, but gradually I'm increasing the colours I have, courtsey of mother,does a lot of cake decoration, any colours past their use by date, gets passed on to me.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

50 holes yes. But you only have to mix once! Do them all with a cupful.
    Brick dust is good. Fairly wet, no sand(or add sand to lighten).
    Generally dries lighter than when applied, so be prepared to make darker.
    Wet spread over to make smoother. Dry paintbrush for coarser.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really