Filling a small chase

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Albion, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Albion

Albion New Member

I'm a decorator and have agreed to fill a small chase for a customer in their new kitchen where they've had a socket put in (the chase is around 1.5 linear metres). I think it's an external wall, though am not sure as although it's a terraced row, the houses are staggered. I was thinking I would use a sand and cement render initially instead of bonding plaster (due to it being an external wall) and was wondering if I need to add a waterproofer/plastercizer? If so, can anyone recommend a small, inexpensive product I can use? Since it's such a small job, I don't want to have lots of big bags of plaster/render/additive left over. As a result, after rendering I was thinking of finishing it with Easi-fill, since you can buy it in small bags and I can always use it on another job. I was wondering what people's thoughts are about this - any advice much appreciated!

2. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

SBR the chase then use ready mix bag of mortar to fill.

3. Albion

Albion New Member

Thanks for the rely. So you don't think I need to add anything to the mortar? And would you recommend SBR over PVA because of it's waterproofing properties? The cables have been capped off with a plastic conduit - I'm presuming the mortar will stick to this ok?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  4. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

Sorry for my ignorance, what is wrong with using plaster because it's an outside wall?

5. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

The likes of bonding or browning plaster tends to attract damp into the wall, assuming it's a solid wall being a terraced house not a cavity wall construction.

Though to be honest filling a small chase I'd probably use anything I had to hand if it was within suitability.

6. Albion

Albion New Member

Thanks for the help. Sounds like I can use either mortar or bonding and that I don't really need to worry about it sticking to the capping.