Filling gaps around plasterboard before plastering

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jezzer19, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Jezzer19

Jezzer19 Member

Hi y’all

I’ve done quite a bit of plastering in lime, in our 200 y.o. house but am about to attempt my first bit of plastering with Thistle Multifinish, over a plasterboarded stud wall put up around a new ensuite, by a local builder friend. I’ve put scrim tape over the gaps between the boards but have some pretty big (10-15mm) gaps between the edges of the boards and the new lime plastered external walls and also the ceiling. Will I be able to just push plaster in and fill gaps this size while plastering (as I could with lime) or will I need to pre-fill with something? If so, what’s good?

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Expanding foam, let it go off then cut it flush, then skim over.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I use paper corner tape for that. Tape prior to plastering to stop it cracking. Side wall I use tungsten scraper so tape sits below surface level when fitted

4. Jezzer19

Jezzer19 Member

Would scrim tape do? I have some of that already.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Paper really for corner but some use scrim. I have but its different. Will work though if you can use it OK

6. Jezzer19

Jezzer19 Member

Thank you. I ended up pushing some lime plaster into the gaps (quick (overnight) setting stuff) as I had some left over from previous work. Should give a decent solid base for a skim of Multifinish.