Filling gaps in new kitchen installation?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by glezga, Jul 27, 2021.

1. glezga

glezga Member

Hi guys. Just had a new
    Kitchen installed and quite a few gaps as on images.

What filler do I use. Too big to be painted. Do I need caulk or silicone etc?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

get the fitter to sort it - any filler will look a mess

Muzungu likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Not really sure exactly what the pictures are showing ?

Is this an old kitchen that’s just had new doors fitted to existing cabinets ?

Pic 3 shows damage to the face of the cabinet looks like ?

Was this caused during fitting ?

If the finish is edge tape, best option is to remove what’s there and apply a new complete strip - either glue or iron on tape ,,,, but, every white will differ to what’s already there so a perfect colour match isn’t easy

4. glezga

glezga Member

It's a brand new kitchen install. Yes it was caused during fitting.

We're 4 weeks into a 1 week quote. Various delays including covid and fitter not booking tiler. Spark etc.

Fitter is too busy to Finnish "tidy up" but spark and tiler won't be out for at least 2 weeks anyway. And he will Finnish then.

But he did say he'd just "fill" the gaps. So I've decided to DIY it.

5. glezga

glezga Member

"Tidy up" jobs

Attached Files:

6. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

I wouldn’t be paying him for a finish like that until it was all sorted, you don’t want joints like that filled in a brand new installation, you want them perfect, that’s why u are paying a pro.

7. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Just seen the second set of photos. That’s really rough I’m sorry to say. It looks like he has no pride in his work whatsoever.

8. glezga

glezga Member

Yes I'm starting to feel a bit sick. I've paid half of quoted job already. Still need a spark and tiler.

The fitter done some electrical work himself and sparks condemned it. One wanted the kitchen removed before he could start. Another said he'd work around.

I've booked a week off work to decorate but spend past few days trying to juggle spark and tiler availability.

9. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

normal practice is to use the kitchen design to run the services in to the right place: water, drainage, electricity, gas where applicable etc BEFORE fitting the kitchen. to try to do so after fitting is a recipe for disaster. Sounds to me like a rushed unplanned job

10. glezga

glezga Member

To be fair or I may be gullible. We asked and were promised a 1 stop shop but 1 of his crew tested pos for covid. him and m8 had to isolate. Then he either didn't book the spark and tiler or they let him down so he done some electrical work himself until he needed pro for moving cooker switch.

Said he couldn't get spark or tiler. So we did.

2 sparks said same things about his work. Overloading and tripping would occur. Wash machine. Dryer and dishwasher running from old water heater switch. No longer used as we have gas for example. And we need 2 extra sockets. That's what prompted the need for a spark or we wouldn't have known any different.

1 spark wanted whole kitchen removed before he can work. Other said may create some mess but workable.

11. rawmisher

rawmisher New Member

We had a new kitchen fitted about 6 weeks ago . Plasterers were in first to remove units and then plastering for two days after I had removed all tiles and a few of the old units . The Electrician came on their second day to put in 4 extra sockets and prep for fitter . They were here Thursday / Friday . On the Monday the fitter arrived and half hour later all the units were delivered . The fitter was here 3 and a half days . On his last day the Electrician came back to finish off . From the photos you show you have my sympathy . I would not be happy .

12. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Others have already commented on the quality of work - I agree. But one of the pic shows a cupboard with black handle and a dent. The finish on the door is awful, looks like a hand painted with poor prep. Are other doors like this ? Any clues on where (manufacturer) these units came from ?

13. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

The door with the dent looks like a shoddy repair, and should be rejected.
    If a full install is what was quoted and ordered, this is what you should get. The contractors problems are not for you to sort out. personally I would itemise the faults, give the original contractor time to complete, and tell him if he doesn't at the end of the day produce a perfect kitchen with all the certificates for leccy and gas, you will get someone else to finish off, and then claim any extra over from him in the small claims court. You would win. personally, I wouldn't have paid the first half. The job is *****.