Filling hairline cracks

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by colmac2000, Oct 23, 2018.

1. colmac2000

colmac2000 Member

I've had a plasterer in to put some insulated plasterboard (dot & dab) in the garage and skim it. He's done a good job but a floor - ceiling crack has appeared, I'm guessing at the join between two boards. They seem solid and aren't moving or anything and it is only hairline. I mentioned to the guy and he seemed genuinely surprised and came and had a look. He suggested using caulk to fill it but I think that would be a bit of a mess on a flat surface, no? He also said he had some other filler that worked well for him and even popped round with a tube but it is just standard polyfilla and I don't think it will be all that successful either...I've never had much luck filling surface cracks with standard fillers, they always just crack again almost straight away.

I really don't want to start scraping out a big channel all down the wall...I was thinking of trying this liquid filler stuff:

https://www.jtatkinson.co.uk/polycell-hairline-crack-polyfilla-500ml.html

Or maybe even the spray:

https://www.jtatkinson.co.uk/polycell-quick-drying-polyfilla-spray-300ml.html

Waste of time?

Anyone tried these kinds of products?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Just lightly...Run a scraper blade or screwdriver down the crack. Don't dig as you don't want to cut through the mesh tape that should be there. You just want to create a tiny Grove to fill with powder or ready mixed filler. Sand when dry and paint. Fingers crossed it won't come back but the odds are stacked against you. Plasterer should fix. Caulk is naff as cant be sanded and is for corners

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

As wayners says create a bit of a groove. I tend then to run a bit of mitrebond 2 part superglue in, but be careful in this case as its overhead! Then fill with a good quality filler and rub down

4. colmac2000

colmac2000 Member

Thanks - any recommendations on filler? I have been using Tetrion powder filler for a few years but I'm not sure if they have changed the recipe recently as I haven't been so happy with it. What about the TouPret equivalent?

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I am no decorator but have used Toupret before with great results.

I had a nightmarish (great job apart from a groundhog day type crack on a wall!) refurb on a house which had Stramit paper faced straw panel walls.

All got decorated and this one long vertical crack kept appearing. Lots of attempts by the decorator to sort it. In the end I tried the superglue and Toupret approach and it worked great.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Toupret all the way. Brilliant stuff . Standard red box I use,and some of the ready mixed

7. colmac2000

colmac2000 Member

Cool, thanks...does the Toupret dry white? One of the things I liked about Tetrion was that if you were filling on a white wall, you could kind of get away without painting, at least for a while :)

8. colmac2000

colmac2000 Member

Oh - also, on this superglue method...do you use the mitrefast spray hardener or just the superglue?

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Use both. You will need to be careful as its overhead.

Will be awkward to do.

But it does work to stop that tiny bit of movement right on the joint.

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

On dot and dab cracks a few holes and a shot of foam evey 400mm seems to sort out any movement. Also Pva along the cut board joins prior to fitting seems to stop the shrinking. I find most don't use enough adhesive along edges which can flex especially on stairs and hallways

11. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

are you sure its a hairline crack and not a rabbit

12. colmac2000

colmac2000 Member

That would be hare-line ;)