Filling in holes on oak mantel

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Des1984, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Des1984

Des1984 Member

Hi folks looking for some advice.
    I have an oak mantel above my fireplace and where its been screwed into place the plugs that the fireplace fitter has made don't fit the holes anymore. So I wanted to fill them with wood filler before treating it with tung oil. I have bought some ronseal oak filler and tried it on a scrap piece but it doesn't match the colour of the oak and then when you go over the filler with the tung oil it doesn't stain it like it does the oak.
    Does anyone have any ideas of how I can go about matching the colour of the oak?
    Thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

False grain it using Artists Oil paints.

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Best way is to make some oak plugs.

rogerk101 and ramseyman like this.
  4. Chris1004

Chris1004 Member

If possible sand down the mantel with a sander with 180 grit and collect the dust, then mix the dust with some clear wood glue or pva then you've just made filler that will match the colour. but not always possible to sand it down as you'd have to re oil the whole thing so you can make some oak plugs from a scrap piece.

5. Steve.D

Steve.D New Member

Astramax and Wiggy are on my wavelength. I'd use tapered oak plugs and paint the grain in if needed. The tapered plugs can be glued and tapped home tight then sanded flush. Filler will just crack and fall out with timber movement over time.
    Hope this helps