Filling loop been leaking for 3 days

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Tooleystreet, May 29, 2018.

1. Tooleystreet

Tooleystreet New Member

I have a few more boiler questions..last time the expert advice stopped me panicking but weve got another leak...And its a litres dripping
    every 120 minutes ..i have to empty bowl
    Its the same problem ss before...rapid pressure drop almost to 0 then the filling loop starts spluttering as if its being forced out...
    Now ive just lost a couple of bathfuls of water through the radiator but the pressure on the boiler dropped back down again...#!
    The filling loop valves dont seem to shut off and its making a mess
    Please pacify me!!#

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Change the filling loop ASAP.
    They are usually carp, and pack up far more frequently than they should, but I haven't yet found one that works any longer than others, no matter what I pay for them.
    The spindles of their taps usually leak after a few years, if not before. Their double check valves leak backwards!
    Just bite the bullet and change it ... and then keep a spare ... you're going to need it.

3. Tooleystreet

Tooleystreet New Member

Thanks Roger i can pick one up in Wickes or Screwfix ...or hardware store..
    Just a question? What tools will i need to change it..? Do i need to shut off the water supply?before changing it..

4. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

If you need to ask those questions i would seriously consider getting a qualified plumber in!

Heat likes this.
  5. rogerk101

The filling loop is the means by which you use water at mains pressure to fill the water in your radiator system. Mains water pressure should be up in the region of 3 bars, whereas radiator water pressure should be in the region of 1 bar. The filling loop has two shut-off valves ... one on each end ... and one of which must be a double check valve. Most have 1/2" compression fittings on the mains side and a butterfly connector on the other.
    You'll need to turn off the water mains and drain the radiator system (or find a way of holding back the radiator water) when changing the filling loop.

6. rogerk101

What's the worst that can go wrong here? He forgets to turn the water mains off and gets a few things wet, but that'll only be for a short while because he'll very quickly just retighten the nut he was loosening. Next time he'll remember to have a bucket and a few rags nearby! :)

We all have to start somewhere, and the greatest value of this forum is helping those who want to learn DIY.

I now have a lifetime of experience DIYing one thing or another almost every day of my life from 10 years old ... most of which was before forums (and the internet) even existed.
    I have made numerous mistakes that I would never made had I had the benefit of shared wisdom.

If you're not making mistakes, you're not stretching yourself ... If you're repeating your mistakes, you're not learning.

7. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

If one is unsure i would get a pro in.

Heat likes this.
  8. Tooleystreet

Tooleystreet New Member

Im so grateful to you guys i live alone and im not a bloke!## but prefer not to play damsel in distress even with d.i.y ..... ...
    I physically managed to stop the leak by google searching the specific problem and found a video on Youtube that explained it precisely....what all plumbers take for granted is we have a manual or just know how to turn things on and off...
    This video showed the position of valve to pipe when on and off..thats essential ...stopped me from being flooded out..
    For those thats here for the comments i'll post the video here ...
    But on a filling loop the taps are OPEN when they are inline with the pipe and closed when its at a 90┬░angle to the pipe its on###!

Last edited: May 30, 2018